Thursday, February 1, 2007

Quote of the Day

Today marks the first day back for the term, teaching guitar at the local boy's boarding school. So far the list has one new student (organised/excited/officous mother?) and the rest are continuing from last year.

Today's quote comes courtesy of Newboy. He sits down, back straight and looking around the room like a meerkat. I chat to him a little to get to know a bit about him:

What year are you in, Newboy?
Year Six. [This makes him around 11-12 years old.]


And you're a boarder? What brings you here? [Note: I expect an answer here along the lines of... "my Mum and Dad both work overseas a lot", but...]
It's just something I've always been... drawn to.


So right about now I do a double take. A What the fuck? moment.

So, Newboy, what makes you interested in bass guitar?
Oh, I've played a bit of guitar before, and flute, and clarinet, and ... [lists a few others that honestly I can't remember clearly because of this next bit...] I just want to try a lot of different instruments before I commit to buying one.


Okay. Either I've got a potential billionaire investment marvel or he's a total fruitcake.
I'm a cynic, so I'll give him three weeks before he stops showing up.

3 comments:

Vic said...

Well, I don't know if he's drawn to bass guitar, but he's drawn to the experience of being a boarder at the boarding school. I think he's read about it...

I usually get my bass students to listen to The Doobie Brothers (especially Long Train Running) and Brick House from The Commodores as a required listening thing. Most of them are into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, which is great - Flea is great role model.

As for The English Beat, I must have my musical head up my musical butt, because I haven't heard of them before. I'm off to educate myself right away.

Anonymous said...

Boardin' schools, eh? Kinda reminds me o' th'old joke they used t'tell at Oxford...

dive said...

If you ask a boy why he wants to play guitar and he doesn't say "to get laid", then he's lying (speaks the voice of experience).

Unless of course he really is turned on by the thought of a boys' boarding school … in which case, send him over to England where he'll have a splendid time!