Friday, February 23, 2007

Guitar Party Tricks


For those of you who can't watch the YouTube (sorry Dive) here's brief idea: Harmonics being played with the nose and tongue, and five people playing one guitar all at once. Worth a watch!

Also worth checking out on YouTube is Andy McKee. The pieces I've seen him do involve two hand tapping on an acoustic guitar, as well as incorporating a tapped drum beat. It's amazing to think about the melody and rhythm parts interlocking and have both represented so well.

I was intrigued by Andy McKee's style and decided that since I've never really freed up my right arm enough to tap the body of the guitar while I'm playing, I might as well have a go and learn now. It can only be good for me! So I was mucking around yesterday with the idea while a student was about to arrive. He walked in to me bashing out a basic rock beat on the guitar body with my right hand and tapping out Smoke on the Water with my left. Raised eyebrows.

4 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

I may take up guitar except I just want to strum and pose abit. I can't read music but I know Every Good Boy Deserves Football, bet thats wrong ah screw it I'll just become a leezer instead.
I have a wee guitar and the books but not the will.

dive said...

Rats!

And hey, Old K! I've written you a will, now get playing.

Old Knudsen said...

maybe you could teach me like that pottery scene in ghost.

Vic said...

Who, me or dive?
And Old K if you can play the riff from Smoke On the Water you've joined the league of just about every person that's ever picked up a guitar...