Wednesday, February 7, 2007

It was a moment of weakness

Teaching, playing Big Band charts at the boys boarding school (nothing makes teenage redneck boys pick up their guitar-playing act better than being outplayed by a girl) and then getting plunged into the deep end with the City Band drum parts once again. Every week I hope that new drummer will turn up and stop me from havingto learn to play kit, allowing me to return to my Timpani/Auxiliary percussion role. Then I stop myself from hoping that way, because I think the deep end is the best way to learn in a lot of situations, and I'd be mad to miss this oppotunity. In an ideal world, there'd be someone about the same level as me and we could share the roles and learn together. Ha.

Anyway, I find it hard to get my right leg to operate the kick on anything but the beat. I've been tapping the beat with that for how many years? Now it has to be more independant. I can do it, but it's not automatic at all yet. Intellectually, I read all the music, follow the conductor and I can hear how it should go in my head as I read it. Just occasionally I'll be able to settle in and be comfortable, but then something'll go wrong, or we'll stop to fix something up. Anyway, it's stimulating and I'm learning in a suportive environment, which is why I love community music so much, however... I'm exhausted because it takes so much concentration.

And so, in a moment of weakness... I threw the entire budgetising, weight-watching fitness program out the window and instead of the planned fresh-made salad when I got home after rehearsals ...not only did I invest in two packets of the finest flavoured chips that I could find (that's crisps, to any limeys who can't translate), but I went through the McDonald's drive through as well. Mmmm. Deep fried goodness to match the brain-fry I'm experiencing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weaknesses prove that we are human an' not Zeltoids from Planet 3. Therefore, we will not have t'hunt ye down an' experiment on ye.

Old Knudsen said...

you can worry about yer weight when you're dead, lifes too short to torture yourself with weight watching crap.

dive said...

EEW! EEEEWWW! MCDonalds????

Sorry, Vic, but some things are just unforgivable. A disgusting melange of fat, salt and sugar with some unidentifiable animal parts ground up in there … Pukerama!

As for the rest. Guitar and drums rule. They're my favourite two things to play. And in later life you'll find a ten minute thrash round a drum kit will cure ANY amount of the blues. Keep at it.

Vic said...

Oh shut up, Dive, you sound like a woman! Ew?

But I'll take your description of "disgusting melange..." and raise you a stale bun and cold fries (they were about to close).

Vic said...

and here's a weird one for you, Old Knudsen - I actually weighed less this morning after the binge last night. Macca's makes you shit. Don't tell the stick figures.

dive said...

Hee hee hee.
I stamp my foot and pout in your general direction.

Vic said...

As befitting earlier comment, Dive.