Sunday, February 25, 2007

Just because I'm proud of it

I cooked dinner for a friend (also kind of my boss at the moment) tonight. I think she thought I was going to bring takeaway around but instead I brought a couple of saucepans with dinner ready-cooked. Ahh, Armidale. Less than ten minutes end to end. Got to love the place for something.

So anyway, just because I'm proud of it... I cooked up the self-titled wonder spirals of chicken, seaweed and shiitake mushroom served with a semi-cooked salad of bean vermicelli, toasted sesame seed and green vegetable.

The spiral thing has got to be the closet to a signature dish that I come. Basically... you butterfly a chicken breast and put whatever you feel like in the middle. I've done the classic feta and olive combo to chilli (not for me, I'm a spice weenie) to straight mint served with an orange sauce. Then you roll the whole thing up, bake it, and then slice it up. It makes cool spirals for presentation and infuses the whole thing with flavour.

And the conversation that makes me really proud...
Friend/boss: "Where'd you get the recipe?"
Vic: "I made it up."
Friend/boss: "Bitch."

2 comments:

Katherine Buckley said...

Will you make it for me??! The only thing I got offered to eat today were deep fried spiders!! No joke! At a bus station. They had a live one too just to show they were for real. Disgusting!
Seriously though sounds amazing.

Vic said...

At a bus station?
Part of me would want to try one just for the experience, but I'd be cringeing also.

Of course I'll make it for you! You'll have to be in the country though!