Friday, February 16, 2007

Some things are just wrong.

I'm all for different perspectives. I'm all for pushing boundaries. This is why I love street art and contempory art in general. Just push the limits a bit further... and a bit more... until we can all approach life as art and view the world as a canvas.

Welcome to idealistic Vic. The one that walks around like tourist with her eyes wide open and thinking of all the possibilities for expression that exist around me. I have a personal policy when it comes to what I'd like to create and of course, since I mentioned it, I'll give the details. If I were to create art in this very public way it would have to be 1) bemusing or 2) funny. Hmm. What am I trying to say there? I don't want to create ineffectual art. I want to create art that either makes people think "What the? but that's pretty cool" or "that's so nice". I've written a few things around the place with those responses in my mind. Or just making people laugh. I guess that means I want to make a small, but positive impact on those who see it. Like smiling at people you don't know in the street.

Mostly.

Sometimes, not often, but it certainly happens, I'm a traditionalist. Down to the core. It's really odd things that I take this stance on, too. Classical guitars, for instance. I don't mind the cutaway, in fact I embrace the idea as sensible. But change the colour? It should be woodgrain. Dammit. Slapping paint on it destroys the tone but destroys the, I guess, the seriousness of the instrument. Yes it's appealing to kids. I don't care. You can get coloured violins, too. And flutes, clarinets, trumpets etc. I don't care. I think that it might help some kids with desire to practise and play - "I love my guitar, it's pink." - but to me that's the wrong reason. It should be about wanting to play, rather than wanting to touch the pretty pink thing.

And this is where I started on today's brainfart post. A pink car kit. The contents of the kit are listed here.

Tools are another thing that in my opinion should stay traditional colours. Again, because making them a pretty colour takes the seriousness away from them. I laugh every time I see a dusty purple backhoe. They look like they come out of a kid's cartoon. You want to do serious work in that? Hardy-frickin' ha.

5 comments:

dive said...

Phew, Groover!
I'm mighty glad I didn't go ahead and actually BUY that bright pink "Hello Kitty" Strat I was playing in the shop a couple of weeks back!

I honestly wasn't lusting after the colour … not even the cute pink fret markers. Or the huge, Hello Kitty-shaped scratchplate. I just wanted to hide it at the back of the stage then strap it on and launch into something to freak the rest of the band out.
Actually, I may still buy it …

Anonymous said...

I have to agree, the pink guitar is awful and the car kit is just sad.
My favourite colour is pink and even I wouldn't be seen dead with these.

nina michelle said...

I agree! Except if its red...

Have you seen the pink gardening tools? I think many of these "kits" are to raise a portion of money to breast cancer research... and well the others??? I.just.don't.know....

lol!

nina michelle said...

oh and....

when I first glanced at that picture of yours it first looked like it was a pink vibrator.... then I noticed the jumper cables...and well it scared me for a second....

Vic said...

dive: I'm all for cool designs of electric guitars, that's fine. But acoustics are a different story.

kate: did you try the pink TimTams? It was a breast cancer fundraiser thing - but hell they were sweet!

nina: Yes, you're right that sometimes it's a research thing - I saw a pink mixmaster somewhere that was done for that specific cause. I think the majority is just marketing, though.
And the jumper cables would scare the hell out of me, too, in that context...