Monday, June 4, 2007

The Monday Melee

Sometimes I look forward to the Monday Melee. I have what I want to say roughed out in my head and it just flows. Other days I have no idea what will come out. It's a lucky dip from my head today, and I'll probably find the answers as surprising as everyone else.

1. The Misanthtropic: Name something you absolutely hate.
The cold. I put on a brave front and say things like you can always put more clothes on and the days are so crisp and clear which are both true... But the cold drills into my mind and things just don't work as well. The entire town seems to lose it's optimism. We all live here - but we all bitch like nothing else about the winters. I'm a barefoot child and I love my suntan. I also hate having to chip the ice off my windscreen of a morning. I'm already holding out for another summer.

2. The Meretricious: Expose something or someone that’s phony, fraudulent or bogus.
Me in a customer service role. I'm paid to be nice no matter what and sometimes it's just a sham. Complete and utter. Why would I want to be nice to some asshole who thinks I set the prices and that the only reason bananas are so expensive is so that I can line my own pocket? Why would I want to spend time helping a drooling old man who smells like three day old urine? And smile about it? Rather than say, look bud, you stink. Get a regular bath or get a carer. It's indecent to put that sort of pressure on the people who have to come into contact with you.

3. The Malcontent: Name something you’re unhappy with.
Not having any cigarettes. Being broke because a cheque hasn't cleared yet so I can't afford cigarettes. They are a luxury item but they rank up there with food for me. I'm antsy and have a short fuse. If I keep going without it might be good for the flu and terribly clogged lungs I've been suffering for the last three weeks.


4. The Meritorious: Give someone credit for something and name it if you can.
The stunning red-haired friend for playing frisbee with me in the mall in the centre of town, on a Saturday morning. We were buzzing from good coffee and good company and I had an absolute ball.

5. The Mirror: See something good about yourself and name it.
My bass playing. I'm playing for a town musical at the moment - something I've only done once before and in quite a different context. I was playing yesterday and it struck me just how happy I am with my tone and my particular attack to playing. I used to be unsure as a player and ask for help finding the right tone. Now I know exactly what I want and can even think of it as my sound. It's a confidence that I like to have.

6. The Make-Believe: Name something you wish for.
Summer to come around, so that I can be barefoot and easy going once again.

2 comments:

dive said...

You have cold in Australia?
You're kidding!

Great news on the bass front. My last bass player was technically great but his tone sucked ass.
Wanna job?

Vic said...

I'd play for you any day, Dive. Got an airfare?

Yes we have cold in Australia. Not like your cold, but it's worthy of whingeing about anyway.

I've already brought out the beanie, but I've lostr one of the fingerless hobo gloves so they'll have to wait...