Wednesday, June 27, 2007

From the other side

The last few nights I've wanted to sleep on the opposite side of the bed to my "normal" side...

Stand and face my bed from the foot. Appreciate the speakers for bedside tables and candles around the place - very sauve. Don't look under the bed because there's a couple of boxes of crap I'm ignoring the prospect of going through. Don't turn around because the precarious stack of belongings in front of the dresser mirror directly behind you might - for some unknown reason - discover gravity. Face the foot end of my bed and take note that my side is on your left. Well it was.

I've always seen that side as the male side of the bed. It's the way my parents slept and funnily, a majority of the couples I've spoken to about it sleep in the same arrangement. Is there some reason for this? I thought it was just a natural assumption from seeing my parents sleep that way until it came up in discussion that traditionally the woman is led on the left of the man, in order to leave his good hand free for shaking others' hands.

I had a girlfriend that defied this theory. She had to sleep furthest away from the door, which was an absolute bastard because she was also obsessive about peeing. You mention going to the bathroom and it would play on her mind until she couldn't stand it any longer. Every time she woke up she had to pee. Even if it was five minutes after you last rolled over and woke her light-sleeping square ass up, you could make her obsess about needing to go again. Just by waking her. But why pick the furthest spot away from the door when you can guarantee you'll get up during the night at least once?

When I was with my male partner, I slept to his left. I moved in with the girlfriend and migrated at the time to her right, which I felt more comfortable with in the context. And now I'm taking a holiday on the other side of the bed because I'm drawn to it in an obsessive and odd way. Do I just need a break over here? Or am I moving because it's closer to the door and further away from the cold window?

So what side do you sleep on and why?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to spin you out. I sleep on the left side of the bed. Originally and in every other house we have lived in the left side of the bed was furtherest from the door. When we moved here I lucked out because we had gotten so use dto our respective sides and i now live in a bedroom with two bloody doorways and i sleep on the side of both of them. Hubby refuses to swap unless i've had a major operation and then only for as long as the duration of the stitches.

Terroni said...

I sleep in the middle. I love having the whole big bed to myself. But, if I was sharing it, I would sleep on the right. The left is up against the wall, and I'm too claustrophobic to sleep right next to that.

sinclair sexsmith said...

when I'm lying flat on my back in bed, I am sleeping on the right side. and let me tell you why: that way, when I am on my stomach, my right hand can reach her the easiest. plus, I primarily sleep on my left side, and like to spoon. (aw.)

this though - traditionally the woman is led on the left of the man, in order to leave his good hand free for shaking others' hands - is fascinating. never thought about it like that.

that's the way I sleep - that the girl I may be sharing a bed with would be on my left.

but I thought, by your description, that you sleep on the other side?

dive said...

I sleep in the middle of my big old bed and love to stretch.
Mmmmmmmm …
But when I am with someone I sleep on the "male" side.
It's a "right-handed" thing. It leaves the dextrous hand free to fiddle with "ladies' parts", rather than the less satisfactory, fumbling left hand.

Of course - as you will appreciate, young Groover, being of the same musical inclinations as myself - the fretting hand can be pretty damned good too. I do have a quite wonderful soft-finger-vibrato.
Hee hee hee.

Terroni said...

Re-reading this post and everyone's comments, I find myself very mixed up about where we're all sleeping and where our hands are.

I now think that group sex would be entirely too confusing for me.

Vic said...

Kate: Refusing to swap sides... I did that to boxass too. Not in every move, though. She got over the distance from the door thing when we had an ensuite that was rigth near her.

Terroni: Having a sidce up against the wall changes the parameters a little - I don't know what I'd do.

Sinclair: my description is a little confusing - if I'm lying on the bed facing the cieling, I'm also on the right side. Normally.

Dive: the ambidextrous qualities of the guitarist. Heehee... Know them well. It's even more of a requirement when I maintain a set of nails on the right hand for playing classical.

Terroni (take two): Well so far we've Kate on the left and everyone esle piled somewhere in between the middle and the right. As for group sex... I thought we were talking about sleeping positions here...

Terroni said...

Sorry...I'd had a little to drink.
Apparently, I need to get some--soon.

Vic said...

Terroni that's okay mate it was funny. And getting some is always good.

Katherine Buckley said...

Both sides. Used to be the left side of the bed but since we have been travelling and all over the place it really doesn't matter! Break the norm, have a holday! Try a new perspective I say! Move the bed that makes it even more fun!