Sunday, June 17, 2007

Playing dress-ups: Part One


So I've been playing bass for a local musical society production. The Musical Director has picked his band basically from people he knows will work well together and be fun in the process. And fun it's been. The band is nestled in behind the stage (normally it's off to the side in the local productions) so virtually nobody from the audience can see us. We've even had comment that people think it's a CD. So we were joking about before the shows started that we should dress in pyjamas so that we'd be comfortable.



It's gone a bit nuts from there. Each night has a different theme. So the easiest most tragic choice after pyjamas was eighties night. I hit the op-shop and hacked away at a pair of jeans, a jacket and then piled a shitload of gel into my hair. The looks we got when we walked into the services club where the show is playing were priceless.

The themes are a topic of bar discussion after the show (Where else? We're musicians) and have included suggestions from the cast as well. Whatever idiot thought that we could dress up as the food groups was just pushing the friendship, though. It's been an ice-breaker between the band and the cast and I've met a lot of cool people through it.



Then we have the shot some might have been waiting for. "Formal dress" night. That's right - Vic in a dress (cue: those reading gasp at the surprise). I told the entire cast that it was a once in ten-year thing and not to get too excited. I had one lady who I'm sure was trying to convince me I could pick up a nice young lad in what I was wearing. I just smiled and nodded and thought not a chance honey.

This series of shows is the most I've ever dressed up for anything and it's been fun. Normally I'm the person who finds any excuse to turn up in jeans and hang out away from the action - to be a part of the plain furniture rather than a feature wall, but through the last two weeks of dressing up I've come out of my shell a little more as a person and it's fun.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Normally I'm the person who finds any excuse to turn up in jeans and hang out away from the action - to be a part of the plain furniture rather than a feature wall...."

Me in a nutshell and how well you described it.
I'm not touching the "you'll find a nice guy in that dress" suffice to say he can get in line. You look hot girl, but wear a dress everyday and it lessens the shock value.
what a nice image with my cocoa pops (i'm sooo healthy)

Hope your recovering from beer and cheese and dip.

xoxoxoxox

Vic said...

but wear a dress every day and it lessens the shock value

Not a chance of that happening! Like I said, once every ten years is enough I think. It's just not me.

Cocoa pops? Bugger it, you've just put me into PMS craving time. Haven't had them for years!

I only had a couple of beers, so recovery wasn't really required but the dip and cheese was completely anihilated - we were meant to cook dinner but ended up having a dip picnic instead.

Cheers,
Vic

Terroni said...

Once every 10 years--that's about how often I wear pantyhose.

Vic said...

Terroni, that's true for me too... But the fishnets are coming out for the Moulin Rouge theme on Friday night... I thinks it's the only theme that has truly scared me so far.

nina michelle said...

Holy crap Vic! That dress! Thank God you don't play Cello! hahahaha! Thanks for sharing the picture of your "once in every ten years" happening!

Its a great dress ;)

oxox
nina

Anonymous said...

I usually only ever have breakfast when i am down the river.
Breakfast is just too early in the morning for serious thought however i am playing hookie from school again today due to an unexpected visitor.
Gotta agree with terroni about pantyhose. Torture that makes you feel like a salami.

Vic said...

Thanks Nina! Cello would be an interesting instrument to be playing for the Moulin Rouge night...

And Kate, you crack me up with the salami comment!
I'm with you on the breakfast thing. Coffee is the only thing I have any desire to consume first thing.
Have a great day off school!

dive said...

Woohoo! Hot or what?
Once in ten years though? Even I wear a dress more often than that!

Vic said...

Is that something we really should know, Dive?

Sassy Sundry said...

Yowza. You look good in a dress, there, Vic. The other pictures are good too, but the dress was surprising.