Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hospital adventures



Get a load of this: Contact-lens induced conjunctivitis.

A couple of hours in emergency because it's a long weekend and there's no way I'm going to pay some doctor exorbitant call-out fees when I'm not doing anything better with my day.

I spent my afternoon with half a dozen hockey injuries and a parkinsons case. And five Women's Weekly magazines. Only five. I'm going to take all my old magazines there because it is something seriously lacking in public health. Sure, you have to wait. That's understandable and totally expected. Anyone who turns up to emergency and doesn't expect to wait for at least a few hours is seriously delusional.

So I turned up to this place after the chemist refused to sell me medication - Honey you need to go to a doctor now, you've let it go for too long - fuck you lady, it's flared up over the course of twenty-four hours. Oh and the top-off I don't trust that you'll stay around in emergency because there's too much of a wait. What's with that? Just because I shuffled in wearing ugg boots and the jumper I slept in, looking like a total degenerate, doesn't mean that I'm not going to look after myself. I got there in the first place to buy medication didn't I? But this lady moved me on and I went straight to Emergency without being prepared. Last time I visited there I took a book. And five, I mean five only magazines. And they were trashy magazines. Seriously, Women's Weekly? What good can there be in a magazine titled Weekly when it comes out once a month?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd come and kiss you better except that looks way nasty and planet newy is now the island of newy thanks to being flooded in with all exits now temporary lakes.
So cyber kisses and I know an optomotrist up your way. :)

dive said...

Ow! Conjunctivitis. That sucks.
Over here the chemist gave me some drops over the counter with no problem (Optrex for infected eyes).
The only problem with them was that I had to keep them in the fridge and they were fucking cold!
Oh, and about five minutes after putting them in the stuff trickled down the back of my throat which kinda spoils a beer.
They worked though.

Vic said...

Kate: Island Newy - reminds me of a Christine Anu song... but that's pretty tragic. And I'd love you to introduce me to that optometrist...

Dive: You're right about the beer, babe. It doesn't work with rum either, just for the record. I tried it last night. Who would turn down a free drink even if there was eyedrop grossness happening?

DB said...

Good goobledy golly! That looks painful.

I never knew contacts could do that to you.

Hope it's feeling better.

sinclair sexsmith said...

yikes! heal quickly ...

Sassy Sundry said...

Oh no! Icky.

Hope you feel better soon.

Katherine Buckley said...

wowsers mate that looks scary! Dont fu*k around with your eyes way too important! Hope you are better now.
K xx

nina michelle said...

Holy cow! I am so sorry I missed this! At first glance I thought you had blackened it in a bar brawl. I hope you better now Vic.

oxox
nina