Saturday, June 30, 2007

Customers shit me

I spend twenty-two hours of my working week in a fruit shop. I set up displays. I pack wholesale orders. I do deliveries. I peel and prepare vegetables. I know my stuff and I used to run a vege section in another wholesalers. I do this job because my friends own the business and they need someone they can rely on. I spend probably a total of two of those twenty-two hours behind the shop counter.

But that still gives people the right to treat me like an idiot who knows nothing. Who can't hold a job anywhere else because I'm too stupid. Like I stand there all day waiting for their wisdom to shine it's light through the sliding door and set off my buzzer. Like I enjoy being treated as if I know nothing even though I have worked in the industry for the last six years.

I'll just have "these three" bananas thankyou. Look, lady. I can see that there's three. I can count. I actually made it a hell of a lot further than primary school and I'm not blind either so I can fucking well see there's three. And as for the fact that they're bananas? Shit, I didn't know. I got them out of the coolroom, put them on the display that I maintain every fucking day and you know, lady, I think I just learnt something new from you. Thanks a bunch.

I suppose you wouldn't know if there's any other lettuces out the back. Not in the form of a question. A satement. What do you think? They grew on the display?

And then Can you get a fresh lot of potatoes for me? followed by oh one of the boys should be lifting that for you when I trot out with a 20k bag over my shoulder. Do I really look like the type who'd ask the boys if really could help it? I do two at a time up a full set of stairs on deliveries just to prove I can do it without help. Besides I'm often there alone and what do these idiots think? The spuds that they request are going to magically fly out of the coolroom out the back of the shed on their own?

I should be wearing a sign that says I teach music. My friends own this business and I'm doing them a favour. They pay me well in exchange. So basically I do this for fun and interaction with people who are not idiots. Please allow me to continue that ideal by fucking off.

4 comments:

dive said...

That would make such a great teeshirt, Groover.

And bananas? "Thanks a bunch"?
hehehehehehehehehehe

Terroni said...

I worked at a greenhouse in high school and people would say, "One of the boys should be lifting that for you" every time I picked up a bag of dirt.

I fucking hated that.

Vic said...

Dive: My favourite customer service t-shirt idea is Kindly assist in maintaining the illusion that you are not an idiot.

Terroni: Mate, I know what you mean.

DB said...

Love the t-shirt suggestion. I might leave it at, 'I do this for fun and interaction with people who are not idiots' part.

I, blessedly, do not have to do much customer service these days.