Saturday, October 20, 2007

and she pisses me off

I've got lots of favourite photographs that I've taken. I tend to take a lot of nature shots, but there's only so many interesting trees you can look at in one sitting. I'm starting to value shots of people more and more.

Anyway, I have one shot that I'm particularly proud of. It was taken on a morning walking along the Thames at Twickenham. It was misty, and wondereous. Also icy as all hell. That didn't detract from the beauty of the day, though. It seemed to add it.

The problem is that there is a person in that shot. One day it will be a memory that I can cope with. But now... I want to rip her head off most days. Let's call this character Ms. Catalyst. I still love the photo, but it makes me angry all over again. I don't look at it often. I don't display it. I still recognise it as my own favourite photograph.

So I was surfing Facebook. Checking out to see if there was anybody I should be catching up with on there, and I come across Ms. Catalyst in somebody's list of friends. Catlike, curious, I checked out the profile. And then the photo album. And there is my photo. Actually there's a couple. But she's uploaded a photograph that I took?

So who's property is it? Mine because I took the photo? Or hers because she's in it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is truly a beautiful photo. I hope someday she ceases to sully it for you.

As to ownership, perhaps you should request a photo credit and maybe piss her off for a change.

Ms. Avarice said...

I'm with teresa and completely mesmerized by the scene. <3

Scout said...

Hmmm, she hasn't signed a release for you, so I suppose it's public domain. It really is a great photo--intruder or no.

Terroni said...

It's a beautiful shot, Vic.

dive said...

Hey Groover.
Beautiful photo.
Unwanted people in good photos are easily remedied with Photoshop.
And take it from me, it feels good as you make them disappear, bit by bit.

Vic said...

Teresa - good idea, I like it. The problem there is that I refuse to communicate with her at all.

Ms. Avarice - thankyou, I was mesmerised by the scene too, at the time.

Scout - Yes, I guess that's right. It's pretty annoying, though.

Terroni - Cheers, mate.

Dive - As much as I love the idea of photoshopping Ms. Catalyst out of my life, I don't think the picture would work without her in it.