Friday, November 30, 2007

Wannabe chef requires new space:

Right now I am cooking. I have a green curry on the go and my laptop in the kitchen with me, pumping out my favourite grooves while I keep half an eye on dinner-to-be. There's a beer within reach at all times and I should be in my element.

However, I hate my kitchen. With a passion. In a few weeks it will not be mine any more and somebody else's headache of no space and terrible seventies-print tiling (not to mention the curtains). Somebody else can deal with the fact that it isn't much bigger than a toilet cubicle. Hopefully that somebody else will also live with two other people and know that if you want this kitchen to be clean, you're going to have to wash up three times daily. I can't wait to get another. The problem here is that I will be utterly kitchenless for I have no idea how long. I'll be camping, travelling and staying in other people's houses until I decide to settle down somewhere again.

In the meantime, I can dream.

What does my ideal kitchen contain?

Stainless steel. Plenty of it. Appliances, splashbacks, the rangehood. You name it. That stuff is sexier than an freshly vacuumed onion display. If I could move the prep area from the veggie shop into my new kitchen and kit it out, I would.

Knives. Not just pokey little housewifey knives. I want the big fuckoff knives that feel like you're holding something real and effective to chop with. On a magnetic strip, with a steel hanging next to them because using a freshly sharpened knife is even more exciting than the sight of stainless steel. Or the removal of onion skins.

An island. I want to look up and have a view when I'm in the kitchen, possibly have some friends around that I can chat to while I'm making dinner rather than alienate them in the loungeroom while I disappear and do my stuff. I also think that you appreciate a meal so much more when you're involved in it in some way, whether it is helping, or just watching. That's so much better than just having a plate slapped in front of you.

A kitchen garden. This isn't necessarily in the kitchen, but I'd like to be able to see it from the kitchen, and have easy access to it. In the house before this one, I had a grape vine and a fig tree right outside the window. I watched the fruit mature through seeing it daily as I made my morning coffee, talking to the figs - hell, buddy you're getting bigger. Keep it up - and marvelling in the greenness of it all. My garden will have fresh herbs, garlic and a bunch of vegetables. The corn I grow won't even make it in the door, and neither will half the beans or snow peas - so maybe the outdoor garden can be classed as a kitchen in itself...

I think that's about it. The rest is just icing.

So what do you need for an ideal kitchen?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I relent, you may use my kitchen when you are here.
I may not have steel all over but I do have three knife blocks and a cleaver and a steel so go ahead and sharpen my knives.
As for a kitchen garden, anything I plant would be immediately consumed by Joey mutt and the possums. But we can buy some trendy herbs in pots while you are here.

Terroni said...

I would need a cook.

dive said...

I need to get up off my fat butt and walk through to my kitchen.

lady brett said...

nice kitchens are so sexy. i very much agree about the knives and kitchen garden - and i would certainly not turn down an island or sexy stainless steel.

i've wanted a kitchenaid stand mixer since i was ten. when i went home for thanksgiving they had them on sale for half price, and my daddy offered to buy me one for christmas. and i had to turn it down because there's nowhere for me to put it. so, yes, more space would be my #1 kitchen dream. in the short tern, i just want a knife magnet.

Ms. Avarice said...

all of the above sounds great, especially that kitchen aid thing, except I want it with --all-- the attachments! I want the mixer, the food processor, everything! I have the space in my kitchen, but our cabinets *start* at the top of my head. I only have two under the counter for short people. More accessible space!

nina michelle said...

suppose your travels won't take as far as my kitchen...

Vic said...

Kate - Herbs in potsare trendy? Hell I thought they were archaic. Look at the traditional kitchen garden! That's the kind of stuff I love. Anyway, I can't wait until I'm there! xox

Terroni - That would come in handy! Like the title says - I'm a wannabe chef. Sometimes my strike rate isn;t that good, but I love the process more than the result.

Dive - You have a spice rack. That implies that at least some times you care enough about the culinary to levitate you arse in the direction of food preparation!

Lady Brett - One day you'll have the room you need for the mixer. I'm so with you on the knife magnet.

Ms. Avarice - Oh hell do I know what you mean about cupboard space for short people!

Nina - not in the short term - my travels are going to be more along the lines of roadside vagrant for a while, and definately not in the leagues of plane ticket purchases! However I intend to see more than Australia an the little other portions of the world I've been to so far... So stick around, because one day, definately. Otherwise, come see mine when I get one!

Vic said...

Kate - Herbs in potsare trendy? Hell I thought they were archaic. Look at the traditional kitchen garden! That's the kind of stuff I love. Anyway, I can't wait until I'm there! xox

Terroni - That would come in handy! Like the title says - I'm a wannabe chef. Sometimes my strike rate isn;t that good, but I love the process more than the result.

Dive - You have a spice rack. That implies that at least some times you care enough about the culinary to levitate you arse in the direction of food preparation!

Lady Brett - One day you'll have the room you need for the mixer. I'm so with you on the knife magnet.

Ms. Avarice - Oh hell do I know what you mean about cupboard space for short people!

Nina - not in the short term - my travels are going to be more along the lines of roadside vagrant for a while, and definately not in the leagues of plane ticket purchases! However I intend to see more than Australia an the little other portions of the world I've been to so far... So stick around, because one day, definately. Otherwise, come see mine when I get one!

nina michelle said...

well love, there will be a space set aside for you in my kitchen for the day you can come. Plus a comfy place to sleep. I will entertain you with wild rivers and downtown dives... you just need to get here. As for me going to see your's, when you have one, just say the word... I am ready now for a trip of a lifetime.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.