Monday, November 19, 2007

Standing on the edge


Yesterday I stood on the edge of a rock at the beach and looked down past my toes to the waves below me. I looked down, past the still painted toenails that are a sadly fading physical reminder to me of the new world I seem to have landed in, that I have embraced and never want to let go. I looked down past those toes into the waves that swirled and crashed below.

Over the past few weeks I have known happiness, anger, sadness, excitement and uncertainty all contributing to - and also being a product of - my decision to leave the town I have spent the last eleven years in. This is the town I came to boarding school for and never left. Fear has been the most prominent emotion in the mixture inside my mind. I'm scared that once I leave the saftey net of Armidale that I will not be able to make it. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to self-confidence. Don't bother cutting me down, I already did that on my own, thankyou.

Then I spend my entire weekend in bliss. I meet new people who I like, I see new friends who are family and I see love that will only grow. I look down at those waves beneath my toes and I think bring it on! Bring on this world. I want to feel alive again. Go ahead! Crash against the rocks, splash me and wake me up even more to this place.

Bring on the world. I got the girl. She's there, watching me as I challenge the waves, and as I turn to her I'm smiling. I've got my eyes open, I've got nothing to lose and everything to see.

5 comments:

dive said...

You've got the girl; you've got the planet and you're a groovy fucker.

Enjoy, Vic.

Anonymous said...

Glad I found this. I have a thing for dykes with guitars...

J.M. Christianson said...

Thanks for this...even though my first comment didn't go through...:( Was feeling emotionally unstable and upset about my decision to be here - I moved from California a few months ago to work in Malaysia. Your entry gave me strength, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

www.jackquelinelou.com

Vic said...

Dive - a groovy fucker huh? I like it.

Jackqueline - you're welcome, mate. Be strong. One thing I'm learning though is that if something is becoming damaging to you, move on. Cheers and take care.

nina michelle said...

Hey... this all sounds very intriguing... you sound very happy baby... fly!