Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Quote of the Day

A man, about seventy, came up to the counter of the fruit shop I work in holding two roma tomatoes. Nothing special. Until he says:

I'll have those two little dudes, thanks.

So I charge him for them and he says:

Cool. Seeya.

Dudes. And Cool.The words seemed completely natural for him - it wasn't in the vein of an old guy trying to get with the times, they were just a part of his natural speech. It made me think of the days where my sister and I corrected our mother all the time on how to say cool. She just couldn't get it to sound natural. It still doesn't sound natural coming from her, fifteen years after the event.

I guess some people progress more easily than others.

To Old Mate with the progressive speech:
Cheers mate, you made my day.

4 comments:

Terroni said...

Funny...I heard an old surgeon using "cool" the same way the other day. It just rolled off of his tongue. "Patient have an allergies? No? Cool."

Cool indeed.

Anonymous said...

which is the direct opposite of the three years old who upon bumping into my mother in law turned and said "i'm ever so sorry."

Ms. Avarice said...

that is too cute!

dive said...

Progress my arse, Groover!

Hee hee. You kids today.
Cool was our word in the fifties and early sixties; the old dude was saying it when he was your age.

It was originally coined in the 1920s; a Jazz Age term.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, Vic.