Friday, September 28, 2007

Vic's quest for enlightenment?

I don't read or watch the news. Partly it's a time thing. But also things that get reported piss me off. So I avoid it.

I saw some news on television last night and thought - hang on, I'm completely unaware of what's going on around me and maybe I'd better rectify that situation. Not necessarily so that I'm a more world-concious being. I'm not. I'm caught up in my life and the people that I know. I'm more easily upset by reading a blog post that says someone who I have never met (but feel I know because I read them daily) is in pain. I'm more easily upset by something like that than I am about hearing that some country that I can barely remember the name of from early high-school geography is about to blow up the citizens of some other country. There's too many in the people in the world, anyway.

As for terrorism - don't start me. Actually do start me. The only way anybody can stop terrorism is to eradicate the word from the dictionary. And then it'll be defined by some other word that means virtually the same thing. There will always be terror, and there will always be those who use it to their advantage. Fuck, wouldn't you? If you felt you were boxed into a corner?

I'm not a heartless bitch when it comes to these things. The thing that chips into my little stone wall of empathy is actual people. Take September 11. I watched the coverage. Mainly I was unemotional. Shit - basically something big has happened that will cause a chain reaction of other big things. What do I get to do about that? Sit there and watch the coverage. Fucking yay. But the people. Seeing people jumping from a building to certain death in order to avoid being burned alive? That struck me deep, because I could identify with that absolute terror in a way. I cried then, and then only. For those individuals.

And then there's the "celebrity" news. Fuck off with that, too. I don't care if a star of some movie I might have seen is pregnant. Or has spilt up with their husband. That shit happens all the time. Why are they so special? Who wants to hear about some celebrity twat's battle with alcoholism? Unless you're as rich as they are you won't be able to come through it in the way that they have, because you simply don't have access to that kind of treatment. A private treatment centre that you can admit yourself to? Fuck off and line up.

Similarly there's news on sport. The Aussie Rules football finals are coming up. I call it aerial ping pong. I have no interest in a game where the players seems to chase each other round the field in a pack like a small swarm of bees. I couldn't care less about the lead-up to the big game and who is playing and who is sidelined. The game will happen. Somebody will win, somebody will lose. Fucking yay.

And then there's the science news. Japanese researchers have produced a see-through frog? Now that pisses me off. That's playing god. Breeding something purely for research is messing with the natural order of things. What for? Why do it? Basically it comes down to stopping death. That also is messing with the natural order of things, and like I said before - there's too many people in the world anyway. I make that argument, but really I should stick my head back up my own arse, because I'm on painkillers developed through scientific research and in doing that I'm messing with the natural order of my body.

Basically, I want to be more informed so that I've got something to talk to people on a general level about. A conversation starter. So that I can appear a little more broad than music happenings and who is fucking who in the coffee club circle in my local town.

Wish me luck, it probably won't last long.

6 comments:

Terroni said...

What the fuck do we need a see-through frog for? Who the fuck cares how a frog's insides work? What...are we going to cure frog cancer?

Children starve to death on this planet everyday, and we're creating transparent amphibians. Fucking brilliant.

dive said...

Sheesh. Now I feel like Mister Boring. The only TV I watch is the news. I just have time to watch the headlines at 5 in the morning and I catch the news just before bed.

I hadn't heard the see-through frog thing, though. Knowing the Japanese, they bred it so it looks better on the plate. Yummy!

Vic said...

Terroni, you're uncanny in your comment. The idea they highlighted in the article was that they could watch the development of cancer without dissection. Great.

However, the frogs cannot breed past the grandchild stage, so how it is an accurate mirror to natural organic life I have absolutely no idea.

I agree with you.
Fucking brilliant.

Vic said...

Dive, you're not boring. You're educated and informed.

About the frog though... Let's ignore the scientific research thing for a moment and run with your line of thinking. Would it be a raw delicacy? What would happen to the transparent skin if you deep fried it?

Sassy Sundry said...

Good for you. I'm afraid I'm a news addict. I'd really like to stop.

dive said...

Transparent frog sashimi. I gotta try some!