Thursday, September 20, 2007

Synchronicity

So there's a cult thing that's been floating around for years now about Dark Side of the Moon and the film classic The Wizard of Oz. If you play your album (on repeat) of Dark Side from the point where the lion roars on Wizard of Oz a bucketload of coincidences occur. Now, the Dark Side of The Rainbow theory is that the album was actually constructed around the movie. The band deny it, and I think it's a load of bullshit... but an interesting one. It's like reading your stars. Once you actually look for the coincidences you'll see them, and your mind erases all the crap in between.

You can find a definitive list of the Dark Side of the Rainbow events here, but here's a teaser of a few of my favourites:

# - the voice says "And I am not frightened of dying ..." as the tornado heads towards a house.

# - The song playing during the entire tornado scene and while the house is up in the air is The Great Gig in the Sky.

# - Glinda the Good Witch appears at the line "Don't give me that do-goody-good bullshit"

There's bucketloads of other coincidences, and the idea has sparked a explorations into what other movie/album combinations there may be. I've come up with a few of my own. They probably won't work, but it would be cool.

The Sound of Music with August and Everything After, Counting Crows
The Lion King with I'm Not Dead, Pink
Shawshank Redemption with August and Everything After, Counting Crows
Braveheart with Grace, Jeff Buckley
Dude, Where's My Car with American Idiot, Green Day
The Wedding Singer with Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morrisette
Blazing Saddles with Use Your Illusion II, Guns 'n' Roses
Top Gun with Ten, Pearl Jam
Dirty Dancing with Nevermind, Nirvana
Reality Bites with Mellon Collie and the Infinte Sadness, Smashing Pumpkins

So here's the question of the day:
What album and movie combination would YOU try out for a synchronicity experiment?

3 comments:

Ms. Avarice said...

did a project in high school about "the wall" - and i thought i was soo profound! hah! I got DSotM as a birthday gift in grade 10.

To answer your question, I would try... Lucía y el Séxo and Andreas Vollenweider's Cosmopoly...

Weird. I know.

Happy Pigs on the Wing Week!

nina michelle said...

How about Scarface and Bobby Sherman's greatest hits?

eh well, maybe not.

dive said...

Vic that is so cool.
I'm trying one as I write.
To keep the Floyd theme going I have my copy of Zabriskie Point playing with the sound down and I've put My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album on repeat.

So far it's perfect.
Trippy. That's my morning happily wasted.