Monday, August 13, 2007

The Monday Melee

Welcome to yet another Monday Melee. Translation: yet another weekend dead and buried.

1. The Misanthropic: Name something you absolutely hate.
Line Trimmers aka Whipper Snippers. The sound they make grates right through me. I suck at using them. There's a man using one outside the loungeroom right this moment and it makes me want to scream.

2. The Meretricious: Expose something or someone that’s phony, fraudulent or bogus.
It is no longer cheap telephone rates for long distance on Sunday nights. It hasn't been for years. My family can call me any time they please and it's pot luck whether I'm home or not. So why in hell do they call on Sunday night still? I have one aunt, two cousins, my parents and my sister in this country. That's it. I got spared the cousins last night but that was it. It turns my night of watching trash tv into one long session of family blah which really could be better dealt with if it was spaced out evenly across the week. Grab a timetable guys.

3. The Malcontent: Name something you’re unhappy with.
Noisy clocks. I love analogue clocks, but the one in the loungeroom is so loud that it acts like a metronome for my time spent on the couch. I find myself tapping to it, making up rhythms. But it means you can only really go at one of two paces - 60 beats a minute or 120 beats a minute. That's pretty damn restrictive.

4. The Meritorious: Give someone credit for something and name it if you can.
The entire brass band for turning up to a Sunday rehearsal. It's great that a D-Grade community band with members of all ages and all walks of life can come together and give up their weekend time for a common goal.

5. The Mirror: See something good about yourself and name it.
I will do anything for the people I care for. Not only that, but it makes me happy knowing I am that type of person.

6. The Make-Believe: Name something you wish for.
Telepathy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So no ringing Vic on sunday nights huh?

dive said...

I knew you'd plump for number six; I can read your mind.

Telephones and lawn strimmers are why guns were invented. Grrr!

Vic said...

Kate: Calls from family are okay, also it's just a shit when the entire family lines up to talk at once.

As for calls from others... depends who they are!!! [Telemarketers and debt collectors can fuck off before they even pick up the phone].

Vic said...

Dive: You'd know what else I was going to write for #6 then, wouldn't you?

peahen said...

Commitment from a community brass band? Hell yeah! Members of my band lobbied the MD not to cancel the regular Friday rehearsal on the Good Friday bank holiday this year! There's something about playing music that really bonds a group of people.

Scout said...

"it acts like a metronome for my time spent on the couch." Now this is a great line!

I find myself making up rythyms to the turn signal in my car.

Oh, and I second what Peahen said about that community band connection, even if I can't spell rythym.

Vic said...

Peahen, that's great! So what do you play in the band?

Robyn, I do that too with the turn signal - for a while I had a blown globe that went double time. It was great.

Taz said...

I just finished reading 'The Chrysalids' - very interesting. Makes me wish for telepathy too.