Sunday, August 12, 2007

Some tunes for a Sunday

I could write about Grandma Nobby's Excess Baggage Theory or finally choose a date for the Pigs on the Wing: A Week of Pink Floyd project. But I have a hangover, and a beanbag, and the sun. Like a cat I am curled up in a patch of sunlight and I'm periodically moving to follow it across the loungeroom floor. With my computer in my lap I'm listening to tunes and playing guitar. Here is a random sampling, with reasons just because I can.

1. Corner of the Earth - Jamiroquai
Such a dramatic intro for such a loungey tune. I love it. The song is like me in many ways.

[SKIP] Touch and Go - The Cars
[SKIP] Numb - U2

2. Don't Walk Away - Toni Childs
It's sad, I know. But this is one of those songs that brings out the Groover in me. The happy Vic that just can't help but move even if it's just the top half of me from a beanbag on the loungeroom floor.

[SKIP] Hate this Place - Goo Goo Dolls (hit the high notes, dammit)
[SKIP] Hard to Concentrate - Red Hot Chili Peppers (cool bass riff until the vocals doubled it)

3. Slow Cheetah - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I especially like the outro to this song - and extended fadeout. Basically I haven't listened to the words much but I like the guitar. I get caught up in that and forget to listen for meaning.

[SKIP] Diamond Dogs - Beck from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack (I love the music in this one and absolutely detest the vocals. So it gets a listen until I hear the voice, and then it gets the arse. NEXT!)

4. Dilate - Ani Difranco
How low can you tune your guitar? It doesn't matter to me that there is that kind of out of tune thing going on. It's raw. This is a singer I do listen to the words of. I care less and less what people think... What a great line. I'm not a fan of the soprano sax outro for this one, though.

5. Touch the Fire - Icehouse
Oh the young days. I almost skipped this one. Now I'm in the chorus, a dumb grin on my face, air drumming, and I'm so glad I didn't hit the next button. Even through the gratuitous crappy saxophone solo.

[SKIP] Rain on the Scarecrow - John Cougar Mellencamp (too boring for today, sorry. NEXT!)

6. I Don't Live Today - Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
Ahh, gotta love it. A guitarist similar to Stevie Ray Vaughan covering a Hendrix tune. It's such a shame to... spend your time away like this... existing... Fantastic psychedelic stuff going on here.

[SKIP] Time After Time - (covered by) Rob Thomas (I love different versions of songs, but this one is terrible)
[SKIP] I am the Walrus - The Beatles (Just not today, okay? I mean, "Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the band to come" is a little too much psychedelia for my hung over head)
[SKIP] Don't Speak - No Doubt (even though I can't get enough of the cheesey classical guitar solo)

7. Paradise City - (covered by) Richard Cheese
This guy is gold. He does lounge covers of basically anything. He takes requests on his website. I truly am a covers nut, and this is a really thoughtful and comic arrangement.

[SKIP] Wedding Cake Island - Midnight Oil (Definately not in a tacky surf guitar mood here)
[SKIP] Young Modern Station - Silverchair (too heavy for a day in the sun)

8. At the End of the Day - from Les Miserables
What a great musical. It's one of my all-time favourites. This piece in particular covers so many emotional aspects with a few melodic sections. Fantastic.

9. Pink Panther - (version by) The Skatalites
Another great version, along with all the punk covers that were floating around a few years back.

[SKIP] Staying Alive - The Bee Gees (I've played this too many time to count in covers bands and I spend the entire second half of the song waiting for it to end. NEXT!)
[SKIP] Nobody's Perfect - Madonna (Whoever invented that vocal effect processor thing should be shot.)

10. Pineapple Head - Crowded House
What a fantastic melodic bass line and catchy guitar riff. This is one of those songs that leaves me feeling uplifted. Even though I have no idea of what the words are supposed to mean.

Some days iTunes is my friend and spits out exactly what I didn't know I needed to hear. Not today. But the sun is nice.

3 comments:

Terroni said...

Right now, I'd love to listen to tunes with you and hear you play the guitar.

Vic said...

T, that would be fun. Days just just doing not much in the sun are such valuable time.

dive said...

Woohoo for the Skatellites!

And you can't have too much psychedelia, Groover.