Sunday, July 1, 2007

The little things

Things to make Vic happy, even briefly:

Folding the last piece of clothing from the mammoth two-weeks worth of washing spree.

Watching the petrol gauge rise to the full mark.

All the candles in my bedroom lit while the room is tidy and uncluttered. Being able to read in this light.

Clean sheets and pillowcases.

Having my cat, who is fairly independent and stand-offish, tentatively come onto my lap for warmth and comfort.

Watching a child’s face when they realise that yes, indeed, after a week of dedicated practise they can play their set work really well. Watching that realisation turn to excitement about what they might be able to with that sort of effort consistently.

Running in the sun, playing frisbee with friends.

Dancing.

Performing.

Dancing and performing at the same time.

Imagine a whole onion display littered with loose onion skins all through it. Imagine Vic sticking the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner right into the thick of it and sucking all those little floaty fuckers into oblivion. Happiness in the execution, happiness at the outcome – onion skin free display, which also means onion skin free shop floor and surrounding displays. Nobody seems to understand this – it must be bordering on an obsessive compulsive thing. Those bastard skins get everywhere, and the relief I feel to be rid of them is about the same as that feeling after a hard and fast shag.

Knowing that I’m looking good.

Getting set up to shave. The process of shaving my upper lip and sideburns. Being able to feel the smooth bits afterward and still be fascinated by it.

Good coffee.

That first session of playing a guitar after I’ve oiled the fretboard and put on a new set of strings.

Getting a random visit from someone with a gorgeous smile on a cold and miserable evening.

10 comments:

DB said...

Never equated cleaning up to a hard and fast shag. I'll have to think about that for a while.

Terroni said...

This reminds me, I need to shave my legs and wash my sheets today.

I shaved the other day and took a chunk out of my ankle. I didn't notice it until 20 minutes later when, as I was lying in bed reading, I saw that the sheet around my foot was bloodied.

Gashed ankle, bloody sheets--I've got a whole lot of sexy going on here.

Anonymous said...

Again with the onion skins and equating them to a hard and fast shag, hmmm interesting.

dive said...

Every single one of those had me smiling fit to bust, Groover.
A happy Vic is a glorious thing to behold.
I'm with you on the onion skins; they do make such a satisfying kinda sucking "thwop" when they go up the tube … though I can't remember what a hard, fast shag is like (or indeed any other kind). hey ho.
And thanks to you I'm now going to have to oil up and re-string Old Les. So much for the rest of the evening.

Katherine Buckley said...

I want to know about the random person with the gorgeous smile!? Plenty of dancing and frisbee to come my mate! See you soon K x

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, candle light in th'boudoir an' th'sweet smell o'clean sheets.

Me Groover, ye tease...

Vic said...

Sharon: It's the relief after... like I've lost a lot of tension. I don't expect anyone to get it.

Terroni: Glad to be a reminder of your to-do list mate... Definately a whole lot of sexy.

Kate: Again, it's the after shag feeling. Maybe best not to think about it too much.

Dive: a happy Vic is a glorious thing to behold I was going to say you're an absolute sweetie. Then I read your comment out to Gayman and he responds with: no she's so much better when you poke her til she gets the shits and then you run away and laugh. As for the old Les, surely there's worse ways to spend an evening.

Kat: Mate, looking forward to some regular frisbee games. Can't wait until you guys get back here.

and Me Grand Magnificent Kaputain: a tease? Yer Partaker in Much Plucking? Surely ye've mistaken me fer another o'th' shipmates...

IcePick said...

What about Friday arvo when i turn up with a HUGE HUG just for you lol :)

Vic said...

IcePick!!! I've haven't ever been lifted off the ground like the way you did on Friday night. Ever. You're an awesome guy.

Anonymous said...

Me Sweet Partaker in Much Pluckin', Th' Cap'n knows which ShipMate she be talkin' about for certain-sure. ;)