Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Quote of the Day

I've been trying to get a thirteen year-old to use alternating index and middle fingers instead of his thumb to play a passage of melody on his guitar. Instructions got written on top of the piece of music and I sent him home last week to practise it.

This week, the thumb is there in full force, doing the job that should be done by the alternating fingers. Now, I like this kid and get along with him really well, so I'm pretty casual in the way I chip him about it:

Vic: Oy buddy, what happened to using your fingers instead of your thumb?

He looks at me. He blinks. He shrugs and says
Arthritis?

Absolute gold.

2 comments:

dive said...

I'll have to remember that one, Groover. I'm at the age now when I can legitimately use it when I fuck up a solo.

Vic said...

Fuck up a solo? I thought it would come under exploring atonality.