Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Today. Different to every other Today.

Today is the day I start early on yet another four hour sleep session.

Today is the day I think I’ve stuffed the vacuum cleaner at work while indulging in the guilty pleasure of sucking up all the dirt around the brushed potatoes. I’ve been good about avoiding the almost sensual relief of sucking the onion skins up the tube but I’ve moved on and found a substitute pleasure. I hit a big patch of dirt today and the bloody thing choked. Not all pleasures work out well.

Today is a day that I hear a voice that makes me violent. Ill inside. Today I contemplate the difference between hate and disdain, brought on by that voice. I hate because I disdain so much? I hate because any word, any sight, any thought, any allusion to the object of disdain causes me to lose control of my usually calm and easy going demeanour. I succumb to imagery of incredible violence. I hate because this is not good for me.

Today I chain-suck Eucalyptus lollies. I try to avoid crunching them at the end but dammit I always forget.

Today I think about yesterday’s rehearsal and feel good and kick-arse confident about my own bass playing.

Today is the day that I take some good advice and walk to meet a friend for lunch rather than drive, even though the weather is falsely portraying a lovely warm day. Blue skies. Clear sunshine. Fucking cold.

Today I give credit to the wonderful Kate Isis for the idea for this post with her own brilliant post This Is...

Today I drove past my own driveway and had to do a U-turn in front of a council truck. I waved.

Today I laugh because life is a rollercoaster and it might make me feel sick or might make me feel elated or it might make me feel anywhere in between. I laugh because fuck it, I’m still on the ride.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the days when you get your groove back don't you just wanna do cartwheels across the beach.
Hopefully a better mindset is the begining of the recovery to happier days evry day and a solid 8 hours of sleep. I know how difficult sustaining it is but I'm smiling today to know that your smiling xoxox

dive said...

Now I'm going to have to go home and peel onions just so I can suck the skins up the hoover.
You're turning me into some kind of perv here.

Vic said...

Kate, i think 8 hours sleep is a long way away. Thanks heaps for what you said about smiling. Its beautiful to hear.

Dive, it's the sound they make...

Katherine Buckley said...

I love this post. You make me cry tears of laughter. Beautiful all over.