Sunday, January 6, 2008

Personal Challenges

Beer. I love the stuff.

I've recently got into home brewing and it's been going pretty damn well. I haven't had any explosions or undrinkable brews. There was one that was close to being not very tasty - but to me that depends upon the level of desperation for the first drink. Once you're through the first few mouthfuls of the not-so-good one your tastebuds adjust anyway.

I don't discriminate too much. I've brewed from ginger beer (alcoholic of course) to stout. The stout I haven't tried yet, however I got a text message from a friend that I gave some to - she tried it last night and it gets an enthusiastic thumbs up. I love trying different things and when you can cut your beer tasting costs by at least a third by brewing your own it has to be a good thing.

That doesn't stop me from loving the pub scene though. I'm a beer whore. So when my sister's hubby Mike and I spot a Bavarian Bier Cafe on the seaside Manly wharf... We were up to have a go. They served it in steins! How could I say no?

Then there was the challenge...

You could get a one litre stein.

Again, how could I say no? Some people climb mountains because it is a personal challenge. This was my challenge.

8 comments:

nina michelle said...

vic, that glass is as big as your head...

nice picture btw...

Terroni said...

1 litre!?! Holy shit, that's a lot of beer!
And the home brew...do you ship to the States?

dive said...

God, that looks refreshing, Vic.
Dammit! It's nine in the morning here and now I fancy a beer.

Vic said...

Nina - Ummm, thanks... I think! That sucker was hard to lift, too. Until I lightened it's weight of course!

Terroni - Email me - the address is in my profile - and no sweat I'll send you some!

Dive - At least that doesn't just happen to me! Any time is Beer-O'Clock.

Ms. Avarice said...

wow, simply drinking beer has been a personal challenge to me, but I can do it! I only like sweet stout beers though, can't stand the yellow stuff usually. Unless it's my third beer.

EspressoHead said...

If you like ginger, your should try this wine stuff....

http://www.stonesgingerwine.com/welcome.php

I know its not beer, but its the next best thing, I think.

You'll either love it or hate it. Try it!

Vic said...

Ms. Avarice - I'm thinking that the next stout I brew I might replace the sugar content with honey instead.

I usually stick with beer because I drink like a fish no matter what the juice is, so it takes a longer time to knock me out.

EspressoHead - STONES!!! My first experience with stuff was with the boyfriend years ago, who is into home brew as well (I think mine comes out a lot better than his, but anyway). We used to take the edge off the taste by putting a shot of green ginger in the glas as well. That stuff is potent, though, and caused some seriously big nights.

Satan's Love Child said...

see i told u i read everything on ur blog after u tell me about it on the phone or in bed or both.

miss ur mindge u midget ho bag!!!!