Sunday, January 20, 2008

Letters to self

Maria has posted a letter - to her self as a seventeen year old. It's made me think, also. What advice would I give myself? If I could change anything, tell myself to snap out of anything, what would it be?

It's an interesting concept, but one I don't agree with. I have always been intrigued and ultimately confused by the concept of time travel and altering of the time line. It gets into the whole Star Trek concept of the Temporal Prime Directive:
"The Temporal Prime Directive is intended to prevent a time traveler from interfering in the natural development of a timeline. This can include altering events or informing those in the past prematurely to change an outcome."

It would be nice to change some things. It would be nice to realise that my ex is a box-assed life-sucking incarnation of the devil before I wasted my time on her...

BUT.

I am a product of my past experiences. We all are. Every single experience, good or bad, whether it is the break-up from hell or the out-of-date camembert experience that puts us in hospital, every single experience is a foundation for who we are right now, this very minute. I would not be in the place I am in, knowing the people I know now and being who I am without all these past experiences as a building block.

If I changed just one thing, that would all be different. A butterfly flaps it's wings in China and it rains in New York kind of effect. One small change and the echoes become increasingly larger. I don't want that.

Regret is pointless. I cannot change the events that have occurred in the past, and I believe that I should not be allowed to. The Temporal Prime Directive is about natural development - and that is what we all should experience. The only thing I have influence over is my own future.

So I choose to write a letter to myself, in the future:

Dear Vic,
Do not forget your experiences. Do not regret them.
Expect nothing. Experience everything.

8 comments:

dive said...

That's just how I felt at your age, Vic (yes I can remember that far back; it's yesterday I have trouble with).
These days I'd probably just write:
Dear Dive,
KILL THEM ALL!!!!!

As you get older, you don't necessarily get wiser.

Anonymous said...

I love Star Trek... my favorite episode is The City on the Edge of Forever.

Still... I would tell myself... Don't smoke, don't drink.
Of course, I wouldn't listen to myself anymore than I listened to anyone else.

P.S. Your question was answered.

nina michelle said...

Dear Vic,

Thank you for this.

oxox
neen

Katherine Buckley said...

Love it.
K

Mon said...

I tagged you, I hope you don't mind.

Maria said...

Wow...you'd really rather eat that cheese and be hospitalized? You are like...Gandhi....:)

lady brett said...

exactly! how bizarre, i just wrote much the same thing. so, yes, i agree =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Vic
Know exactly what you mean. i wouldn't have come here ( and met you all those years ago) if it hadn't been for where I'd been. Now, it's the next big adventure. But I won't forget who I am, where I've been,what I've done and most important who it's been my privilege and pleasure to know. Talk soon