Sunday, December 9, 2007

As if I needed an excuse to go to the pub.

Note to all prospective organisers of small town Christmas Carol events:

If you feel the need to display a manger with live animals in it, make sure the fence is high enough that the goat cannot escape. Or forget about having a goat in the first place. Even better, forget the manger.

It is summer. Storms do not give warning in the morning that they will be approaching rapidly in the evening. Electricity and water mix extremely well, I've heard. Maybe a marquee of some description next year?

If you are going to bus an entire brass band from a town an hour's drive away and then cancel the second the band arrives, making them turn back the way they came, perhaps it would be good to suggest that the entire band travel together in order to avoid any jealousy issues. The two of us who got there by our own means had a brilliant time at the pub on the way home.

6 comments:

dive said...

Hee hee hee hee hee

nina michelle said...

a goat?



now back to the pixie orgasm...I have been practicing all night Vic.

dear.....sweet.....pixie....

*sigh* it just doesn't work for me babe...

oxox
neen

Anonymous said...

Yes the bus trip was less than exciting and yes we would have loved going to the pub. What about the calf too haven't they heard of fences. I heard that they were just after a cheap fireworks display hence the mix of electricity and water...

Vic said...

Dive - Yes, far more appropriate than Ho ho ho ho ho.

Nina - A goat, a lamb, and a calf. I was surprised they didn't find a donkey somewhere too.

I'm afraid it doesn't work for me either - there's only one woman who could call me that and make me weak at the knees.

Anonymous aka TrumpetChick - We had the idea of calling the pub and saying that the band was going to stop and play carols, but it would have been a fizzer because we were the only two people there. If only it wasn't a Sunday night, we could have all done a carols pub crawl.

Osbasso said...

Whoa...a brass player, too?? What, pray tell??

Caroling in the bars on the weekends was a favorite activity of mine, but that was years ago. And in the cold of December up here, so it's a totally different experience than down there, I believe!

Vic said...

Os - I'm not a brass player (although maybe one day I'd like to learn). I play percussion in the local band, which I love to pieces.

We do a pub crawl series every Christmas, where we troop around the town and play carols outside the local bars - unfortunately with no alcohol for the band. I can imagine it being very different to your winter Christmas - it's bastard hot for us, especially in full uniform carrying an instrument from pub to pub!