Sunday, January 14, 2007

Travel

Had to drive 'home' to mum and dad's place today. It's three and a half hours of really nice driving. Between me (tablelands) and them (coast) is a mountain range which goes in a belt for pretty much the entire state, cutting me off from the coast. Not that I mind. I like a good rally drive so winding my way through the mountains at full pelt is good fun.

I love to drive in this country. I went through three herds of cattle and 28km of unfenced road. I've never come across that much roadside grazing before and it's a bit of a pain, but there's something so frankly rural about it that I identify with it. I'm not a country girl by any means, but I love the values. I love the little two fingers lifted off the steering wheel wave that you give to the drovers and anyone you meet on the road. It kinda says howyagoin? and thanks, mate all in one. A childhood friend and I used to practice it. There was (acually, still is) a single lane wooden bridge where we grew up and it's just the thing you do when you go past the other car waiting at the other end. Etiquettte.

No comments: