Monday, January 29, 2007

One of those iTunes random things

Lame, I know. But I just wanted to see what would come out.
The first ten songs that play when I put iTunes on random just now...

1. Please Forgive Me - David Gray from White Ladder
Definately not skippable. I like the little guitar riff that comes in, except that it's just a little too repetetive. And what a brilliant line - "I got half a mind to scream out loud". When I first heard this song I was disappointed because the drum beat is so... dance music? Like the producers tried to make it club friendly. But it's grown on me now.

2. I Wanna Ride You - Medeski, Martin and Wood from Uninvisible
Oh yes, funky. A really nice bluesey intro, and then into a great organ riff interlocking with some really cool bass. I first realised I liked these guys when they did an album with John Scofield called A Go Go.

3.Company I. = 96 - Kronos Quartet
Okay, lulling. It doesn't fit into my listening repertoire very often. Not now. Skip.

4. Hard to Handle - The Black Crowes
A cover, which my band does a cover of. It's funny that you can go through years of playing these songs, but still enjoy hearing them. I feel like I know the song more intimately.

5. How You Remind Me (acoustic) - Nickelback
Now here's an example of an acoustic version that doesn't work very well. Skip.

6. Dirty Cash (Money Talks) (Dirty South Remix) - Mind Electric from Ministry of Sound 2007 Annual
This also doesn't fit into my listening repertoire very often. Mostly I like the Ministry of Sound annuals for cleaning to, or pumping up for going out. I'm a fan of the chillout albums a lot more than this style.

7. Four Seasons In One Day - Crowded House from Recurring Dream
It's hard to go wrong with a Crowded House tune. This one fascinates me since it has a canonic solo section. It's just cool that they thought to do it.

8. Mary Jane - Alanis Morissette from Jagged Little Pill Acoustic
I think Jagged Little Pill has been played so much that I know every song backwards, so now it's really nice to hear this album played differently. I could have a rant about riding on the one succesful album she had, but it doesn't beat the fact that I enjoy both versions.

9.This Love - The Magic Numbers
I have a bizarre liking for this band. They're just different to most of the stuff you here. My sister introduced me to them after she heard them support U2. It's pretty, but slow, this one, and I don't know it as well the last song. Skip.

10. Night Time is the Right Time - John Scofield plays Ray Charles from That's What I Say
Just some really effortless playing, not my most favourite from this album, but I still love his playing. My favourite from this album would have to be Unchain My Heart (Part 1) because the way he plays the vocal line is brilliant, falling off the notes, just holding back a bit. Mmm. And the bass line is just funky cruisey stuff.


And now I'm satisfied that I've done it.

6 comments:

dive said...

Oooo … Medeski, Martin and Wood!

Great music, Vic, but particularly pleased you like MMW (and Scofield, of course).
That kinda kicks your already impressive "cool count" up another couple of notches.

Sassy Sundry said...

Very nice selections.

I was a bit heavy on the Al Green today. Seemed like a smooth kind of day.

dive said...

Mine was kinda smooth but with an ironic twist.
I had a Donald Fagen frenzy on the train on the way home.

Vic said...

Hey sassy and dive,
I don't know much Al Green and don't know any Donald Fagen. Any suggestions for what's a good listen?

As for MMW, my first experience with them before finding out that it was them on A GoGo (great album) was their album Tonic which was a little too on the experimental side and not enough on the groove side for me to be sold on them. But then I read about A GoGo and realise I liked them a lot without knowing it.

dive said...

A Go Go is fantastic, but they are totally amazing live!
And Don is one half of Steely Dan (with the God-like Walter Becker) so I think you know rather more of him than you might have realised.

Vic said...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I just got Medeski, Scofield , Martin and Wood and have been listening to nothing else for the last two days...