Sunday, January 14, 2007

No more wholesalers.

I finished my regular day job on Saturday. I ordered and maintained the fresh produce for a small retail outlet at a food wholesalers. Basically a mini-market built around a butcher shop. I also ordered shelf stock, worked the deli, stocked fridges and freezers and menned the tills. There's only ever two staff to run the shop and another two to pack and run the meat section. I've worked in both ends of the operation.

Things I will miss:
- Nice customers
- Working with vegetables. I love fresh produce. I like making displays. It's high maintenance, but a good fresh display is so appetising. I love it!
- The people. Some of them shat me but when you're working with one other person all day, you're bound to get to know them. Scottos, especially, is one person I took ages to work well with. He carries on all day if you give him the chance and it's all crap. But we bonded over perving at the women that came in. I'd get "Vic! Halfway down on the left" as an alert. Or there was a classic day where he looked like a Meerkat when I told him there was a g-string alert. He popped his head up, straightened right up and scanned the room in short jerks of the head. Just like a meerkat.
- Helping myself to the fruit. Oh crap, that one's got a patch of rot on one side! Can't sell that...
- Racing the clock packing sausages in the meat section. For the record my best was five bags a minute.

Things I won't miss:
- Getting paid the same wage as slack staff who refuse to think and stand around talking. And then being told that I have to make those staff work harder.
- Working around dead things. It can be really depressing if you allow yourself to think about it.
- Customers who phrase questions as a statement. Nothing pisses me off more than You don't have [insert highly visible item here]. No question mark. No raised pitch at the end of the sentence suggesting it might be a question. And it's always just spat out at you like an accusation.


Now here's where I go into a bit of a rant. Skip the rest of this post if you don't want to hear it.

Why do people feel they can treat shop staff with contempt? I often get people making the assumption that I am a lower form of idiot because I help them from behind a counter. Or openly discussing pricing in front of me. I often feel like butting and going look, lady. $2.25 is not expensive for onions. Your local big name supermarket has them for $3.98 this week.

I know my stock and I can give you advice on how to prepare it, how to make it last longer. I resent being treated as though I was born yesterday by people who specifically enter my work space for service. How can you expect good service if you act like an asshole?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think there should be two things a person has to experience before they graduate -- working retail or waiting tables and having to take care of a baby moving into toddler stage for at least a year.

The former so you can understand what it's like to work in the service sector and the latter so you'll think twice before deciding that having a baby would be soooooooo wonderful.

Just an opinion.

Vic said...

Exactly right about working in the service sector. If everyone knew what it was like, they'd treat you a bit more nicely. The people I most like come in and make me laugh, or just have a good converstaion. I think service is about helping people not only by being there to take their money, but by adding something to their day.

I'm not sure on the baby thing, though. I don't really think (yet - maybe I'll nest later in life!) that having a baby would be wonderful at all. Just not my thing.

Sorry to rant in a comment.

Cheers,
Vic

Anonymous said...

Omigoddess, if one can't rant in one's blog where can one rant?

Having worked in the service sector myself in the past, I always found it easy to diffuse them with humor. Sounds like the sector lost a good person in you.

And, no, having a baby is nothing wonderful -- although I love the little rugmunchers.

Vic said...

So I gather you've had children?

And are you still working in customer service?

Am I prying too much?

Anonymous said...

I am a mother, I work in the animal medical field now (customer service of quite the different type) and, no, you aren't prying too much. ;)