Monday, January 22, 2007

Critters

There's something about the coast, especially in summertime, that brings critters.

Mosquitoes: 2 bites so far thanks to a bucketload of repellant and a mozzie mat thingy next to my bed at night.


Other bugs: Things just land on you all night. Especially if you happen to have been indulging in a little pre-sleep reading.

Spiders: After doing odd bits for my father doing yard work and clearing out sheds I didn't think there was a type of spider I hadn't seen or had crawl on me. Then we went bushwalking. It was a vale of spiders. The trees arched over the pathway and there were webs everywhere. There was one particular tree that had a huge mother spider and four other minions around it. No thanks. Normally they don't scare me, but I felt well into their territory and quite out of my depth...





Frogs: Green frogs. In the bathroom. Last night there were seven. Tonight one. Next time who knows... Apparently there's a whole family who live there but the little buggers haven't worked out how the toilet roll works yet. They jump on the thing, which of course rolls over and sends them spilling off into space. Then the freak and try to jump up the sheets that are spilling off, causing it to go faster. Every now and then one will jump onto my bedroom window with a splat. It's a pretty funny thing to see a frog from underneath.

Snakes: Only seen one - a baby, thank goodness. Was on my way out to lock up the sheds, barefoot, and there it was. A baby brown snake. I looked at him. He slithered. I stood still. He slithered more. I stayed until he went.

No comments: