Friday, July 25, 2008

Project Black #5



I've been reading travel magazines lately. Obviously the urge to go discover is coming back with a vengeance, and this time around when I finally do unleash myself on the countryside, I hope I will be better armed to cope photographically... not to mention mentally.

In an editorial piece a mocking challenge is set to any person travelling to Broome. See if you can resist taking a photo of camels walking in a line along the beach with the sun setting behind them. Now the only camels I've ever come across are the ones at that spend their weekends carrying sets of children around in an endless procession at various market days and country shows, and the occasoinal camel race for charity. I've never been to Broome either. But the statement strikes a chord with me. I love a silhouette in the sunset. Can I resist it?

This tower is on a beach not far from home. It's a moody beach, and my experiences there match it. I've laughed and been consumed by love there. I've grinned at the waves in defiance. I've roared and screamed and been consumed by terror there. I've even unwittingly exposed my arse to an entire wedding party there.

The moods change, the weather changes, yet in this place there is one constant: the tower.

3 comments:

dive said...

"Moody beach."
Hee hee, Vic. I know some of those. I lived with one for sixteen years.
Go discover.
Watch out for camel shit.

Vic said...

Hee hee, Dive. Apparently I am one, too. Have we met?

dive said...

One day, Vic. One day!
There will be grooving!