Friday, July 4, 2008

More rambling.

The last few days I had some surprisingly happy moments. I find myself liking some of the things I do at work, even the hours are terrible and the pay is less than that of a trained monkey.

I went to see my doctor today. Two weeks ago I was a messy lump of indecision when I went to see this doctor about fixing the shit that has taken over my brain and functions. Today I walked in, was at ease straight away and spent some time laughing with her. The result, though was a weird one. Instead of being just normally happy, I walked out of the surgery to find my hands shaking uncontrollably.

I've had that reaction before in a different context: performing a classical guitar to an audience and coming through it all okay. Adrenaline rush. But why with a doctor? I didn't have an adrenaline rush going up on a work platform high above the ground on a mine site yesterday, even though it was my first time going more than a couple of metres off the ground in a wire basket. So why now? Adrenaline because I have perfect blood pressure and an informal chat?

The brain is weird. My answer? Join the local library and borrow some books on philosophy.

3 comments:

dive said...

This is scary, Vic. You're showing all the classic symptoms of "growing up" (don't hit me too hard, I'm an old man).

And hey, it takes a lot of money to train a monkey.

EspressoHead said...

I like your self-introspection: "The brain is weird".

Makes me think a little about what your personal definition of 'weird' is. Is it a good or bad thing? Perhaps neither? Perhaps both?

Yay for Philosophy! Feel free to borrow a few of my books any time.

Trained or not, you're a cool monkey anyway.

Terroni said...

Philosophy. I did terrible in that class. Maybe you could teach me something.