Monday, December 4, 2006

9BeetStretch

I read about Leif Inge, this Norwegian composer who has taken Beethoven's 9th Symphony and streched it so that it lasts for 24 hours. Interesting concept. He's done it so that there's no distortion to the original pitches and the bits I've heard are pretty trancey. Nice. Here's the link: http://www.notam02.no/9/


Maybe I should experiment with the opposite - speeding things up. There's two ways I think I could go about it:

One is to take something quite slow and condense it's performance time. This might be interesting to see whether any dance style beats emerge. Maybe that could lead to some sampling. Or it could just be crap.

The other idea is to take a multi movement piece and adjust the length of the movements so that they are exactly the same. Then play all the movements simultaneously (thus drastically reducing the length of the piece). It would be really cool to go multiphonic - have a seperate speaker dedicated to each movement and place the speakers in seperate areas of a room so that as you move about the room you experience different combinations of sound levels.


Really it shouldn't be too hard to do?

If I don't get too frustrated I will post some results!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, most definately go for it, m'Lass.