Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Slow and Steady

Believe it or not, this little guy* was moving too fast for me to get the shots that I wanted. I had to pick him up, move him back into the sunlight, and hope the hell he went the right direction when he took off again. At least the little sucker behaved enough for this one.

[* Actually, most species of snails are hermaphrodites and when they shag, each snail with fertilise the other and they both will reproduce, so both pay the price for shagging. I think that's brilliant. Also they can mate themselves, so one snail alone in a pond can still reproduce.]



What I like about wildlife photography is that it's bloody difficult to get your subjects to pose up. There's so much chance involved, you're always going to get a different shot. I don't have a nice big fuck-off lens for my camera, so getting close is an issue. Wildlife, unless it's a variety of wildlife that's incredibly dopey or incredibly slow, tends to elude me quite often.

It's become a bit of a personal challenge to capture the wildlife at the local wetlands. Frankly I suck at it. Part of me says give up until you get better equipment. Then there's this other part, the inner teacher in me, that says for years I have urged students to get past these very sorts of obstacles. Don't give up. Be patient and persistent. Your improvements may be slow and steady, but consistent effort and thought about direction will always bring improvement. You wanna be a superstar overnight? Ain't gonna happen, buddy.

Patience, and you'll get there. Slow and steady.

4 comments:

Terroni said...

I love the sunlight shining on the ridges of his/her neck. Or is that a torso?

dive said...

Damn me for being European, Vic … the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this was "Oooh! Yummy! Escargots!"

Vic said...

Terroni - After a Wikipedia binge the other day I now know that snails fire a dart about a centimetre long into each other when they fuck.
But I have no idea if that's a body or a torso.

Dive - being a gardening fan the first thing I think is "Bastard! Lob it out onto the road so it explodes!"

Terroni said...

Wow, you learn something new about snail fucking every day.