Friday, April 17, 2009

Converse

"The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen."
- Duke Ellington

Think about that one. The context that I came across this quote in was a section of a book regarding jamming - getting together as a group to create music, to just play. To function individually toward a common, often undetermined goal.

For me, it echoes out into life. I think whether you know how to listen is the most important thing in any person.

Take my experience recently of hitting it off with a complete stranger while we sat and shared a section of gutter. We started off discussing a local point of interest and ended up talking about various places we'd lived, and a hell of a lot in between. This conversation wouldn't have been possible if we didn't have the skills to listen and respond accordingly. That tiny amount of time spent has become to me one of the best things that I have encountered lately - to engage in a fascinating conversation with a complete stranger.

It's one of the things I miss about customer service. There was more opportunity to meet strangers and hear their stories. A lot only had interest in telling, rather than responding. They didn't know how to listen, and I did. Cool, because I was being paid to do it, but it lessens the interaction. The few that you meet that converse, actually listen and respond in a cyclic fashion... They're worth their weight in gold.

2 comments:

dive said...

The Duke was right, Vic.

As you know well, one of life's greatest joys is playing with a bunch of musicians who listen and repond rather than just do their own thing.

And yes, that is equally rare and precious in conversations.

Vic said...

Yes, Dive, you're so right about the rarity!

That's one of the reasons I detest bedroom-bound teen guitar nerds. They're so focused on getting the solo right according to the tab that they have no idea of how to function as a musician rather than a robot. That echoes in to society as well.