Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Stripe Project: Backlog

I went on a stripe-hunt the other day. My plan was to get a backlog of images that I could post one of per day when I got busy during the week. Well, that was one of the plans anyway.

The other plan was to get serious with my little Fuji camera and start shooting in RAW mode.

Brilliant. The files that come out of the thing are HUGE in comparison, take a hundred percent more time to download and presumably have a shitload more data trapped in them. That is, if I can open them.

The programs provided by Fuji with the camera are shithouse to say the least. They seem to be aimed at first-time users who just want to see the pretty things they snapped in a window only slightly larger than the LCD display, and then print them to palm off on to all their admiring friends. I installed them, I tried them, I deleted them.

Photoshop... My dear pirate copy of CS3 that runs in some european language other than my own wouldn't go near my raw images. The english version of Photoshop 7 wouldn't touch them either. I tried, just in case the europeans were fucking it up for me.

So... delete.

I'm now running GIMP. It's free. It seems to work. In fact it seems just like Photoshop without the price tag or piracy. Getting my raw images to open is still a bitchy little hassle, but eventually I'll get a workflow again.

So here's three shots I took the other day, that I've finally got through veiwing and editing.







Methinks I could avoid all the hassle by upgrading the camera rather than the software...

4 comments:

Katherine Buckley said...

Holy Sh*t!!! These are BRILLIANT! The first one is just amazing!! And I love the second with the shade... phenominal! I wondered what you had been doing the last couple of days - well now I see tricky dicky! You need to come and give me a few lessons me thinks! You are just so versatile it astounds me.

Katherine Buckley said...

Ha you must have just blogged because the images have changed position! I love the insect - masterpiece and the shadows...

Terroni said...

this is brilliant, vic.

dive said...

Cool, Vic.
Hey, my Photoshop (CS3) runs RAW with no problem. Maybe it only works in the northern hemisphere. Try reinstalling it upside-down.

Sorry I've been away for a few days. Crap and freakishly busy work have got in the way, but hopefully I can get back to my blogpals now.