Tuesday, April 3, 2007

From the listening lab


This week I've been exposing myself to Dave Matthews Band - Everyday. I had a partner that was right into Dave Matthews Band and of the albums she listened to I liked a few, but not many. But it's been a while since she's been around and since I've listened to any. So I thought I'd try out an album I'd never heard.

Mostly I like this CD. The highlights for me (in order, of course) are:

Track #5 - So Right
This is just funky. I'm not such a fan of the chorus, or the synth part in the second half of the verse... but the introduction and the rhythms in the verses just wipe all that away. And who can go past a bari sax?

Track #4 - Dreams of Our Fathers
Again I am in love with the rhythm in the verses of this track, specifically the guitar rhythm. It's funny in a way, but the last aspect of a song that I really pay attention to is the actual content of the lyrics. With this one I've tried to listen to the words, but I catch myself grooving along to the guitar line before I know it.

Track #2 - When the World Ends
After saying the lyrics are usually the last thing I listen to, here's a rare one. I guess it's because there's far less going on in the verse. Great first line:When the world ends/collect your things, you're coming with me

Typically I haven't spent as much time with the tail end of the album. I tend to put new music on so that I can listen from the start - get through the first couple of songs while I'm working on something and then get distracted and walk away to do some housework or something like that. I leave it going, but the I'm not as focused. I guess a way to fix this would be to start the album from the middle and listen to the end first. But... I've got these three favourites and weakly I just keep going back to them now.

1 comment:

dive said...

Good choices, Groover.
And that's a great first line.
I was iPodding my way home the other day thinking of rhythm guitar and I wound up revisiting good ol' Carlos Alomar's work with Bowie on Young Americans and Station to Station.
If you've not been there for a while, go there and suck on some pure joy.