Sunday, May 25, 2008

Choosing a band name is a pisser of a task.

You sit around, you think about it. You spit out something half decent, and everyone sits around and thinks about it. Nobody commits. Especially when it is a new band where the members aren't completely comfortable with each other yet. I don't want to be seen as the veto stamp for every new suggestion, so I sit back and appear to think seriously even if my first reaction is I will never appear on stage with that name, get yourself a midi backing track, because you don't have a bass player any more.

I'm picky. I don't want to be in a band that starts with The. It's overdone - successful, but overdone. I don't want to work under a name that screams we should playing at some spoilt little turd's birthday party somewhere between the rent-a-clown and the jumping castle. Nor do I want to work under any name that ends with z. Leave that sort of thing to the tryhard metal wannabes who think that tone is a Boss Metalzone pedal with all the knobs turned to flat out and that your status as a guitarist is directly in proportion to the size of your Marshall stack. I also wish to be spared from the cheap lounge hell of being "Somebody" and "the Someones". Exceptions will of course be made, if it is in the name of taking the piss.

I once played in Slippery Kitty... misprinted on the promo material as Slippery Titties. My favourite name so far was one chosen from a headline in a trashy women's magazine in the final half hour before our first gig together. It narrowly saved us from being Vinyl Revival or the guitarist's favourite suggestion of Professor Whittaker's Chunderbucket. He's been wanting to use the band name for years but it has never eventuated. I wonder why.

In an effort to avoid the truly terrible fate of working under a name that I don't like, I'm throwing the doors open for suggestions. What the hell would be a good name for a band that plays covers for the dancing pub-goers? Does it really matter when the majority of your audience is going to either be monumentally stupid or plastered or a combination of the both?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...
Medium Rare
Keep Right (or Left)
Whispers
B Sides
Eclipse
Midgets (can ya dig it?)

A good name is only half as important as a good sound... who would have thought a band with the name Police would go anywhere, lol.

If any name that would be preceded by "The" by an announcer is out, clarify that for us... I'll come back later with more.

Vic said...

JC, I'm hunting you down for the Midget reference! Hmmm... What about Give Me That Milk Crate

By The I mean names such as The Beatles, The White stripes, The Who. Something that is definately included in the name.

nina michelle said...

i have always been fond of Nervous Uterus.

oxox
neen

dive said...

Hee hee. Nervous Uterus is good!
I'm afraid both my current sanity bands have a The on the front, Vic (The Blind Willies and The Groovy Fuckers) but I know what you mean.

I like Michael's band Gordon Zola and the Roquefort, but that only works in Europe, where they pronounce roquefort correctly as Rock Four.

I suppose "Dykes And Guitars" might not go down too well if your guitarist is some snotty bloke.
Good luck! And do let us know.

EspressoHead said...

What about the name of this blog... 'pisser of a task'? hehe. A bit explicit maybe. But It would cover a lot of things: like finding a new (good) guitarist... =)

Satan's Love Child said...

Possibilities;

Itchy clitoris

Groover and the blow hards

Full said...

How about Vic & the Coverz band?

Sorry.

I always liked Murph & the Magictones from The Blues Brothers, with those purple suits and fur covered Fender amps. Class.

"Duvet". thats a cover.
"Tin Roof" there's another one.

O.K. I'm off.

Terroni said...

I used to work at an imaging center. One day we were talking about why pregnant women can't get MRIs, and we came up with a great band name...

Heating the Fetus

It would look great on a t-shirt, too.

Unknown said...

so many to choose from BASS GRRRL

Roscoe’s Love Chariot
Next Time Round
Peacewagon
Skin Deep
Heavy Weather
Second Opinion
Shape of Things
History Repeating
All Change...
Making Tracks
Spare Change
Purple Maze
The Fourth Chord
Shadoogie Wonderland
Aural Sculpture
Geranium Phrase
Groove Palace
Altered Groove
Asparagus Cookie
The Blue Q
Monkey’s Uncle
Green Eggs and Spam
Rhythm and Greens
The Funktion
FunQ2
Love Bubble
Frizzle
Fuzzbucket
Dr. Plod
Splinter
Cover Up
Plastic Fantastic
Dr. Vinyl
Spun
The Vinylphiles
Fried Vinyl
Frootloose
Flipside
Vinyl Spiral
Clocked Out
Loose Fruit
Slippery Kitty
Hot Mustard
The Reefers
Big Swell
Carpet Sharks
Stingray
Disco Kitten












Pineapple Psychosis
Ferril Teabags
Lunatic Soup
Spatial Commitment
Splattergram
Reality Gumboot
Professor Whittaker’s Chunderbucket
Rotating Toothbrush
Chilled Puppy Complex
Randy Budgie Syndrome
Bumbly Bites Back
Count Funkula
Spoonful
Wag the Dog
From the Hip...
Funkular
Speakeasy
Tomorrow’s Cancelled
Square Moon
Mindworks
Box
Groovebox
Institution
Avenue
Groove Institution
Professor Gumboot (& The Reality Complex)
Institution Avenue
Strange Glue
Funky Business
12’/6
Shaken, not Stirred
2
Liquid Spam
Warp Drive
Basket Case
Hot Tub
Electric Soup
The Dynamic Lifters
Citrus
Fluff
Mirror
Eleven


HMMMM how many of those actually made the cut? I can see a few...HAHAHAHAHA

Once again have forgotten my password..HURRAH for kidlets.

Unknown said...

how about from your last post: "a million ways to kill you"
i read an article about awful band names a while back... the one i remember: "does it offend you yeah". so yeah, don't pick that one.

Anonymous said...

I'm still keeping it in mind but... I think I really like alannah's hot mustard with...
Hot Mustard & Cold Ketchup

or...
Pickles & Onions

or
BBQ'd Baby Backs

Uh-oh... I'm getting hungry...