Saturday, April 12, 2008

PhotoHunt: Twist(ed)



The PhotoHunt always makes me think. You get a subject weekly and when you first read the list you think ha! Easy! But it isn't. This week's theme, twist(ed) had me racking my brains and writing a list of all my ideas of possible subjects. Ropes? Wires? Guitar strings?

I spent some time taking shots of guitar strings and they were truly boring. If I perfected them you could have used them in a guitar magazine for an article about maintenance or something equally functional but visually uninteresting to most. What does it mean? Stuff all, really. There's no personality, nothing to identify with in there. Pretty shot. Great. Sometimes that works. I've got a lot of close-up pattern shots that I'd eventually like to frame, bit it's just not me at the moment.

What usually happens with the PhotoHunt is that I write a list, conjure up all sorts of ideas of set-up shots, toy with a few and then give up. In this case I gave up and agreed to be taken along for a drive looking at a few local graveyards. Typically, they don't interest me much. Decay of society is fascinating but depressing, and graves are a prime example of that. Plus they take up space. Monuments are nice, but if you carve away the landscape to bury every person that dies in the world, there's no space left for the living. These places are not very high on my list of locations to seek out as a general rule. Give me landscapes, different experiences and obscure art. Those things inspire happiness in me, so I am most likely to seek them out.

It's when I go off not in search of a PhotoHunt subject that I'm most likely to find it. Maybe it's art giving me a hint for life to imitate. You can research, you can investigate possibilities. You can ponder solutions and discard them all day. Then you can just give up, go do something else and damned if the answer doesn't just fall in your lap.

6 comments:

-tnchick- said...

Very neat. It makes me think, too - that's why I keep it going. I try to think outside the box but it doesn't always work... and like this week, I don't always find time to photograph what I want (No, I don't have them pre-planned and yes I have to think of something each week, too).

Unknown said...

Great idea for the theme. Good picture.

Hootin Anni said...

Exceptionally written and unique concept for the photo.

I'm Twisted! Drop by if you can. Happy Hunting.

Anonymous said...

Interesting shot, Vic, the post is exceptional. I like that Ms. TNChick has the list up early, as I'm always on the look-out for things that will fit any given future hunt. Same with Odd Shots and I'm even keeping an eye out for interesting mailboxes!

Regarding my last weeks Rock Hall of Fame... yes, Tommy, The Who were the feature when I was there (not permanent). Inside was chock full of stuff, a lot of guitars, a lot of stuff you couldn't touch. Was worth the visit but I, personally, wouldn't fly to Cleveland just for that.

Sorry for the delay... been out of town.

dive said...

Great shot, Vic.
Perfect.

Anonymous said...

A monument that has toppled over? It's a beautiful shot with the sun flare and the colors. I love cemeteries: they are peaceful and quiet. Historic, too. Great post.