Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day was, for a while, a time where handwritten notes were passed were passed in secrecy between lovers. Then, in the tail end of the 1800s, some yank started mass producing cards. It's all been downhill since then.

There's the usual "Hallmark Holiday" crap and profiteering surrounding this day. Flowers, chocolates, cards, candle-lit dinners. Bullshit.

Really why do we say it's all bullshit though? The crap that comes with a Hallmark holiday lacks imagination. Is that the reason? The many that buy the mass-produced overpriced card and the box of heart shaped chocolates, are they ruining the idea of the day for the genuine? Is imagination, love and heartfelt sincerity that easily blown away by money?

Honestly, I would buy the earth for the girl I love if I could. Not ever with an intention of winning her over, never that. Possession is a horrible concept to me, and never should be exercised over anybody, in particular those you love. No, I would give the world to the girl I love simply because she means the world to me. How can that be printed on a card? I would never pay for somebody else's sentiment in order to assume it as my own.

So here's mine for the day. No card, no flowers, no chocolates. Just a hell of a lot of heart.

Babe, I love you right through to my fingertips.