Monday, December 29, 2008

Name the Big Machine...

I'm not going to tell you the name of this one. Drop a guess in the comments and you can have a prize if you're right. In fact, if your answer makes me laugh enough you can have a prize, too.



Doesn't look that big, does it?
Let's put some perspective into the picture.



That's me, down the bottom of it, standing next to the tracks.
The guy up the top is walking into the operator's cab, where all the driving gets done in air-conditioned comfort.

Here's a view from the balcony next to the cab. This shot was done on a different day, when the thing was being taken apart for major repairs. There were a whole series of planned blasts happening in the area at the time, hence the dust cloud to the left. More of that another day!



Here's another view from the fanhouse area at the back of the thing. It's a perfect place to take a break, go have smoke and watch the goings on.



Here's a view of the thing without the dipper handles and bucket attached, with some welding repair work about to be done by the guys in the basket.




And now we have RatBoy, kindly showing off the size the bucket. It takes two buckets from this particular machine to fully load a dump truck. That's more than two hundred tonnes of dirt in two digs. The thing drops the dirt into a waiting dump truck by releasing the door at the back of the bucket.





So. Any guesses as to what it might be called?

6 comments:

dive said...

That's gotta be called Miffy.

And I WAAAAAAAAANT ONE!!!!!!!!!

What an amazing post, Vic. I love it! Big boys/girls' toys get me all jiggly. The photo of you with … er … Miffy is fantastic.
Oooooh, I've come over all unnecessary.

Vic said...

For some reason you calling this machine Miffy reminds me of Dory in Finding Nemo...

Oh.. squishy, squishy, squishy, I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy..

Hmmm.

Unknown said...

lol...love that lana is still logged in....woohooo...

sarah(zacs sister)- big mining truck thingy
Zac-Zac's DICK
Me- Im the big fuck-off truck...this little gem has its own theme song...and dance as well!!!! I'll show you when we see each other for ani woohooooo!!!!

Ms. Avarice said...

It's a giant dump truck, of course. but i'm sure there's a more technical term for it...

Anonymous said...

It must be called "the big fuckin dipper" or maybe "the big fuckin bucket" or how about just "the big fucker". Something along those lines that would incorporate the immense size of that earth mover.

Anonymous said...

Surely it's still called a digger, despite it's fearsome size - I could cheat and email the picture to my W.A. brother but I'd rather be right all by myself.