Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"NOW can we buy pink?"

I've been a shit, really I have.

For a week I have been sending messages of demand to my sister Kat, the first time mother with a stomach the size of a planet, a problem with high blood pressure and a baby that refuses to come out and see the world.

The due date (last week): Vic in a truck on the way back from the mines, sweaty, filthy, grease everywhere including in my eyebrows, nursing a mobile phone in hope and anticipation of a message to announce the arrival of LittleTyke. Ahem. Where is my neice or nephew?

I was impatient. For a week I have been snapping an indignant NO at innocent bystanders who ask whether I am an Auntie yet. For a week my frustration and anticipation has rubbed off onto anybody within range, including friends hundreds of kilometres away. For a week Kate has been trying to calm me by fixing her eyes on mine and announcing at random intervals that the baby will come when it is ready. Lovely words, really. But I'm from generation NOW.

Yesterday evening.
I rang Mike and he said to me I have a little neice for you curled on chest.

And then I heard her cry. A little person. A real, breathing, little person. I don't know what I expected.

I cried. In the way that I cried as a bridesmaid to my only sister, watching her walk down the aisle on her wedding day. I cried in complete and overwhelming happiness. For her, for them both, now for their growing family. I felt as if my heart was glowing through my body like the sun through the gaps in a cloud. They must feel as though they're going to explode as parents, because all this feeling happened to me through a five-minute phone conversation.

To Mike and Kat, you will be a beautiful family. Never doubt it, through tears and tantrums and teeth and teenage times - you are a fmaily now.

To LittleTyke, I vowed to be the best Auntie I can possibly be, to learn and provide and teach. To be a solid foundation in your life. Within five minutes of learning of your existence my solid anti-pink stance had crumbled and I wished for you to have ribbons and dresses and pastel fluffiness forever. All you ned to do is learn to smile at me and you will get anything you want.

To all of you, I love you. xoxox

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooooHooooo! Worth the wait, eh!

Terroni said...

A big hug from one proud Auntie to another!

xoxo
T

dive said...

Holy crap!
Don't you DARE get broody on us, Vic.

Congratulations on your auntie-dom, but sheesh! Babies? Eww! Leave that to Kat.

EspressoHead said...

=) Yay =D

Vic said...

JC - No, seriously. I would have been just as happy if she had arrived on time. Really.

Terroni - Hugs back to you mate! xoxo

Dive - No need to worry, the closest I'll get to broodiness is setting up camp in a chook shed.

EspressoHead - Hell mate, it's scary! But she's so damn cute.

Anonymous said...

congrats auntie vic! =)

Vic said...

Thanks, Lady Brett! She's a true little cutie - I went to see her yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Mike and Kat and the new little princess. You will be vauable to her in her life Vic.

nina michelle said...

congrats vic!

Katherine Buckley said...

Thank You, my sister, who has been there for me everyday and listened with an attentive ear to my crap and ramblings as a pregnant woman!
You were our first visitor in the hospital and I would not have had it any other way. Little Jazz is one lucky LittleTyke to have an aunty like you. x

Katherine Buckley said...

Thanks Vic. Dirty nappies and sleepless nights are yours anytime you wanna come stay! Mike