Saturday, February 9, 2008

Wonders:

Seven wonders of the world according to Vic:

#1 - The chance to see a tiny birds nest in the top of a pear tree from my orchard ladder. Beauty on a such a small, delicate scale.

#2 - That only once have I created a sandwich in which the filling was my lower lip, and the outer comprised of my teeth on one side and an orchard ladder propelled by a branch in high wind being the other outer. While I like the taste of others' lips, I do not enjoy the taste of my own at all.

#3 - I've existed for approximately two weeks without seeing one hill. Not even a mound. I get excited when there's a bend in the road now.

#4 - I am completely in awe of the fact that I seem to be the only female in the workers' camp that knows how to change a toilet roll. More on that later.

#5 - There are roughly three thousand pears in a 430kg plastic bin. An average picker will pick between four and five bins a day. Twelve to fifteen thousand pears per person, per day. Working on an orchard with around a hundred other pickers, this rate of production blows me away.

#6 - My inability to remember a towel when going to the shower block is a source of constant amazement.

#7 - The final wonder on the list is that tomorrow I will continue to put my body through another week of rough treatment, ignoring the rash on my forearm and plastering my feet with band-aids - all in the name of personal growth.

6 comments:

dive said...

And for the rest of your life the scent of pears will fill you with a creeping horror.

So … The toilet roll thing … I've just got to know.

Ms. Avarice said...

Yeah... I used to live commune-style with 8 other women. We went through one toilet roll - in each of our three (3!) toilets - once per day. I especially love when there are no extra rolls and the empty roll is noticed too late. Do you have soft tissue? I should send you some TP from here. Of all the places I've been we have the best toilet paper!

Vic said...

Dive - Patience, grasshopper. The bog roll story will be relieved in time.

Ms. Avarice - surprisingly, yes, we have soft tissue in the camp. Usually (and even in my boarding school days) mass accommodation attracts the worst, cheapest grade of toilet tissue ever invented. That stuff is like baking paper - nothing will stick to it.

Terroni said...

12,000 pears a day!?!
So, will you ever be able to enjoy one after this experience?

Eartha Delights said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eartha Delights said...

You should take some comfort in the fact that a very bored mom in a cubicle in middle-America is deeply envious of your rashes and band-aids in the name of personal growth. The only growth I've done recently is stuff that needs to be trimmed. :/