Friday, May 1, 2009

Bass Music from the Archives of Vic

Back to the exciting days of Composition studies once again. This is one I really should do over again, and multitrack it by myself. It's called Big Bottom in an obvious hommage to Spinal Tap, but also in an yet another attempt to piss off my composition lecturer with my assumed frivolity.

At the time I had to submit any sort of recording of one of my peices, so three of us got together in a room with a mic and pressed play. The balance between the basses terrible. One of the players was my girlfriend at the time, who I knew (even before I started to go out with her) was an overbearing player prone to making mistakes and not caring, and not having an iota how to listen and perform in a group dynamic. But she was a captive bass player who could read music. There weren't that many in town.

It's noisy, it's poor quality, but at least a recording exists, and that's what you're getting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help feeling that the description of the girlfriend/bass player is an apt metaphor for life/relationships (well, mine anyway).

I liked the music. It sounds like something I'd definitely look out for and buy.

dive said...

Yay!
Hoorah for bass ensembles!
I think you could do well in that most esoteric of niche markets, Vic.