Friday, March 14, 2008

Weird stuff

I was sitting at a traffic light today, grooving out to The Cat Empire as seems to be the usual soundtrack lately. As you do when you’re stuck at a red light itching for it to turn green, I checked out the occupants of the other cars around me. Straight through the passenger window in the brand new white Commodore was an old man minding his own business. Staring straight ahead intently and holding the steering wheel… Wearing a pair of gardening gloves. Grey, budget, worn and dirty. Gardening gloves of the cheapest denomination. While he was sitting there waiting, he removed one absently, scratched his ear, and then put it back on again.

So, what’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen at a set of traffic lights?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the way to work this morning, a guy desperatly tried to touch his nose with his tongue...
next traffic light i tried to do the same but failed...
life is so unfair sometimes
Stef

Anonymous said...

A an trying to shave - not with an electric razor, he had shaving cream, water etc. It was so funny I nearly missed the lights. I wanted to know what happened to the open container of water when the lights turned green...

nina michelle said...

Well there was the time a man pulled up beside me and started jerkin' off.

Then there was the time (30 years ago) I sat, stoned out of my mind in a friend's car at about 2am. We had just stopped at the light when a guy in a wheelchair came screaming down the hillside, through the intersection and disappeared down the road... I turned to my friend and said, "I didn't just see that did I?" he said, "Yeah, neither did I..."

Anonymous said...

Too funny a topic! Let's see, there's been lots of memorable stop light glimpses for me...

When cell phones were not so commonplace and one of the accessories was the hands free, hear through the radio/stereo thing there was a guy in the next lane who would sit normally in his seat to listen and lean forward and yell into the stereo to talk. He did that several times and I laughed out loud.

How do I know he was talking to someone on a cell phone? I don't... it's an assumption... he could have been just yelling at his stereo.

Maybe you had to be there....

dive said...

Weirdest thing I've seen at the lights is a motorcyclist flying, upside-down right across my field of vision, having slammed into a car driven by an imbecile.
The guy got up and seemed unhurt but it was pretty spectacular.