Thursday, October 18, 2012

Music taste

What kind of music do you like?

I like anything.
All types.


Actually, no. A few things could have happened there. One possibility is that you've just been put on the spot about what you like and your head froze up. Another is that you don't want to offend a prospective new friend by saying their favourite music is shit. Who knows? That person you tell to listen to some real music when they confess their love for the Spice Girls could have been your best friend, but you'll never know because they've fucked off to spice up their life without you.

I love those sorts of conversations. I had one recently with a work friend who is thinking about having guitar lessons from me. He's had them before from someone in the past, and told me he lost interest and got bored. I told him my perspective is that especially for adult learning, you have to be able to justify your means toward a goal. And so I asked the question:

What's a song you really like?

I like lots of music. All types. Even classical.


Really? Woohoo! Let's learn a classical piece then!

Oh no, I wouldn't want to play classical.

And we're back to square one.

No comments: